centipedegrass

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Do any of yall have any problems with centipedegrass in your pastures? Centipede grass is the worst thing that I have ever seen happen to a pasture.

Centipeded is a low lying yard type grass that chokes every thing out. It grows a thick sod and doesnt grow over about 3 or 4 inches. I only have a minor patch of it, but it now covers about 50% of my cousin's pastures. I told my cousin to invest in some electric fencing and crossfence his pastures so he can choke out the the centipede by plowing and planting sudex or pearl millet. My cousin even tried to give to the sod people.

This must be a different "variety" of Centepede grass than we have in Louisiana, which is a yard-type grass that grows slowly to a height of about 4". It requires little if any maintenance and too much fertilizer is actually bad for it. It requires little mowing but will not stand much foot traffic. It isn't a dominant grass and will be crowded out by bermuda or St. Augustine if they get started.

Bernard":24jntwem said:
This must be a different "variety" of Centepede grass than we have in Louisiana, which is a yard-type grass that grows slowly to a height of about 4". It requires little if any maintenance and too much fertilizer is actually bad for it. It requires little mowing but will not stand much foot traffic. It isn't a dominant grass and will be crowded out by bermuda or St. Augustine if they get started.
Yes, our centipedegrass in South Carolina must be crossbred with kudzu the way it grows.

Latest posts