Cell phones and PTT

Help Support CattleToday:

farmwriter

Reaction score
The fam has all had push to talks for several years, and they've been so great for use around our place - everybody's out looking for a cow, it's so easy to let 'em know you've found her - that sort of thing.
But, I really need to get a Blackberry for my other work. I've put it off about as long as I can. Anybody else dropped their PTT service? It just costs way too much for me to keep both. Plus, we'd be eliminating one of my husband's phones if we drop the PTT company and he could just rely on his business cell. I'm just afraid I'm gonna kick myself as soon as I get rid of the instant contact that PTT has given us for years.

Around here the service is so poor on the PTT that we don't use it much. When this contract is up we're gonna do some shoppin.

Larry

Farmwriter, I have never had a PTT, so I can not comment or compare to one of those. I can only tell you about my blackberry. I have the Blackberry Storm. It was recommended to me by several people as top of the line. I got the Storm almost a year ago and am now on my 4th phone. Each one of them has developed a problem and had to be replaced. I have Verizon and there are so many poor reception areas, but I do get better reception than people I know who have other service. The Blackberry does alot of things, but it is also very fragile and you need to make sure you get the replacement insurance when you get the phone. Also, the storm does not follow your finger quickly enough, so you end up with the wrong number or letter being entered because it does not keep up with quick hand movements. I use mine for email, text, internet, phone, both national and international, and it will do alot of things that I haven't learned, yet. Just don't plan on it being trouble free or the service being as good as you hope it to be. Good luck with your decision.

I like the PTT but it seems they are not keeping up with technology so I'm trying to wean from it by changing to Verizon with the PTT but BUT many people haven't made the change and its not as convenient to operate.

look into boost mobile. they have ptt that works with nextel and have a phone similar to a blackberry, plus they have a $50 plan that covers everything. I am on Verizon now but plan to change over shortly.

farmwriter":3e8ed9cl said:
Push-to-talk. Most companies offer it now, but they won't communicate across companies.

Is that like the concept of the hand held radio/walkie talkie/CB's? Its kind of amazing what the new cell phones can do. I wasn't even planning on getting a new phone, but in December I got my son a new phone, and they had buy 1 get one for free, so my phone was real old like 7-8 years, a real dinasour, I got a LGenv touch now, and I was hesitant that I would ever be able to figure it out, sent my first text message last month, and ya know its kind of fun. It has a camera where you can take pics, as I'm sure all the Blackberry phones and other high tech phones have too, but I like it real well, and my son, just knew how to operate it once he got it, me I'm still reading the manual,learning something new each day.

GMN

Latest posts