Cell Phone Towers

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Anyone ever rent land for a cell phone tower? Was approached today and was just wondering if anyone had any experience with this sort of thing. Kinda a long term lease so I'm going to have to smoke it over pretty good. Thanks in advance.

My brother in law has one on some land he owns. Says he gets $550/month on a fifty year lease. I've never seen it and don't know exactly where it is but probably in Telfair Co. Or Wheeler. Or Dodge. If no one gives you the answers you're looking for, I'm on pretty good terms with my brother in law and can find out more if you want.

I've heard of a guy getting $400/month for a cell tower on his land. That would be some nice income if you had a good place for it.

Yeah, the money could come in handy. I have a good place in mind that won't be in the way. They want to put it in another location but I think this might not be the best place as far as my children's interests go in 20 years or so. Probably won't happen anyhow cause our farm was deeded to the family for service after the french indian war. Due to this, its "historic value" in the eyes of the state's historic preservation office may thwart these plans. Can you believe it will cost them $10,000 in environmental fees just to develop one acre? And another $10,000 in other fees.

I have seen it work out well for quite a few people. They will do a lot of site prep and keep the road to it in good shape. They will fence in the tower and fence in the guywires that support it. As long as it's not in the way, it would be a good thing.

Jo, they offered $1000/month to two of my neighbors. I guess I was the #3 best location and someone took it before they got to me. You can make a counter offer to theirs. My neighbor did. He said $1200/mo and they said ok.

Joe

I know of a guy that has one. He gets $750.00 a month for 40 years , also every 5 years its going to increase by around 33%. I read the contract myself.

My uncle has radio station tower on his property, think he gets $1500 a month.

If it weren't in the way and does not take away from the attractiveness of you farm, I'd say go for it. Take that extra $500/month and buy gas.

Just keep in mind all the different people that will need to get to it. Even after its built. Every cell phone company in the area may be using that cell tower at some point. Some of the cell towers I work at have cingular, verizon, t-mobile, sprint and a new one called cricket. Each company may have a hand full of people that will need access to it occasionally. If you can place it on the edge of a fence so people don't have to drive through your cows/pasture that would be best. You don't want gates being left open.

Walt

Walt, that's what I was worried about. The spot the guy wanted is right in the middle of some of my best ground and is inside the pastures. I showed him another spot on the same farm but across the road where there are no cows - only pecans. He seemed concerned about the pecans but I assured him they would burn just fine once I got them in a big pile. ;-)

Based on what I have been hearing, they have offered me what seems to be the going rate for this area. He said he had roughly a mile radius in which to place the tower but he happened to catch me on site before he got to the tax office to see who owned land in the radius. I guess my biggest concern is the location of the tower. I would really prefer it to be at this other location and if his statement is true about having a mile radius a change of a few hundred yards should not make any difference. If it does make a difference, then this means he has lied to me once and I'll probably opt not to pursue this or I will put the screws to him on the rent.

Is the elevation that much different? I'm not an expert but I would think the higher the better.

Walt

Depending on how far in the middle of this pasture the site is I wonder if you can have them build a fence around the road they build. I've worked at a cell site that was 40 yds from the gate but with no fence around the 40 yd road. So If I left the gate open, the cows could get out. The price of a fence to the cell company is minimal compared to the price of the cell tower.

Walt

flaboy":1g6p7wz4 said:
Jo, they offered $1000/month to two of my neighbors. I guess I was the #3 best location and someone took it before they got to me. You can make a counter offer to theirs. My neighbor did. He said $1200/mo and they said ok.

And that should set off alarm bells Jogee.

Around here it's windmills. They are boning anyone who is greedy enough to sign with dollar signs in their eyes.

ALX.":1s3fiqi7 said:
flaboy":1s3fiqi7 said:

And that should set off alarm bells Jogee.

Around here it's windmills. They are boning anyone who is greedy enough to sign with dollar signs in their eyes.

I wish they would bone me. :cry2:

Walt

They came to a friend of mine and wanted to look at putting a tower on a spot in his pasture. He showed them a spot 80 foot higher and a half mile away on the edge of the property in a clear cut rough area.

They came back with an $1000 per month 30 year offer.

Its pretty flat here so there is really no difference in elevation - 258 feet. I think his eye caught the field cause it would be so easy to put it there. The trees in his eyes are a problem, in my eyes its an opportunity to clear more land for pasture - the pecans are not very productive and I just haven't gotten around to clearing them.

If he doesn't want to put it there I'll probably bump him for more money cause if it has to go where he first picked then its gotta be worth more to him plus its going to take more for me to agree to do it here. But overall, I'm satisfied with the money they offered and the terms. What I especially like is the ability to deed the agreement to anyone I want and keep the land. I thought this might make a good wedding present for one of my children.

Anybody got a number or some way to contact these "tower people," because I would love to introduce myself...you know just in case they wanna take a peek at my place ;-) :mrgreen:

Well I'll be.... we have a radio tower on our land for the Sheriff's department. We have been getting $600 per year for the last 24.5 years, and the contract comes up this year. I know the radio tower isn't as like a cell tower, as far as an income generator, but I'm wondering what would be reasonable amount for the next contract?

Michele

Latest posts