cell phone help

Help Support CattleToday:

mtncows

Reaction score
I'm looking for input on the differant cell phone services which use a phone card.$50 a month cell turns into extra each month so i want to put pay as you talk limit on it.

cl18 and dun - Did yall have to buy a phone? Any monthly fees or time limits on how long to use the cards/minutes?

I don't have one but there have been a few times it would have been nice. But I don't want a set monthly fee as it won't be used very often.

cfpinz

mtncows":2iw30qu5 said:
I'm looking for input on the differant cell phone services which use a phone card.$50 a month cell turns into extra each month so i want to put pay as you talk limit on it.

I can't help you with the phone card thing, but I would suggest you look into Verizon. That is who my cell phone is with, and the program I'm on has something like 1500 anytime long distance minutes for 45.00/month. My phone is on a family plan, and I'm not sure how much - if any - difference that makes. Still, it's something to look into to.

cfpinz":2lw0x508 said:
cl18 and dun - Did yall have to buy a phone? Any monthly fees or time limits on how long to use the cards/minutes?

I don't have one but there have been a few times it would have been nice. But I don't want a set monthly fee as it won't be used very often.

cfpinz

The phone came with the first 300 minutes at no cost other then the 300 minutes. I think 300 minutes is the smallest amount you can buy. You have 2 months to use them. After 2 months from when you last added minutes you lose the minutes you haven;t used. We got it because it's cheaper for long distance then the phone company. Friends of ours that live on the next road over is long distance and we talk a couple of times a week. That's where most of the minutes are used. Wife uses it to call her dad in CA, very little is used for routine calling unless the regular phone is dead for some reason.

not sure if yours is like ours here, I bought my phone and have pay as you go, I only use £10/$20 every three months, that is only because my Son uses it to send messages on, as he never has any credit on his, I have the phone for emergencies, if I am out in the car and break down I can ring home and the RAC. for help. My husband is the same his £10 lasted him six months, although he does use his work one a lot, but the company pays for that.

We have Cingular or AT&T... family plan... 3 cell phones.. unlimited long distance.... unlimited text messaging (not something I do, but teen kids do).......all kinds of other crap.

Not sure what it costs, but will find out. I know its around 100, but I dont pay the bills.. only make the money to spend. hahaha

For years I swore at the people driving down the road with a cell phone hanging from their ear. Said aint no way i'd have one. The little women bought a pakage with Verizon since all her family and mine also has verizon. I think we have 700 a month minuts and free calling to other verizon phones.
Now I find myself using it more than the regular phone.I got to say it sure has kept me from a lot of walking and driving,and besides pay phones can be expensive. Guess you could figure the pay phone money and the gas money, it may pay to have one. Besides it's good for an emergency.
I saw in the news that AT&T are discontinueing their pay phones.

Cal

I just got one that is pre pay.

I got virgin mobile because it uses the Sprint network and sprint is the only carrier that has coverage where i live.

I got the most basic plan.

6.95 a month and then ten cents per minute.

I have only made two calls and less than two minutes so far.

I got it because a few weeks ago when i hit a deer and my truck had the bumper shoved up against the front wheel I stood there along the side of a busy road for twenty minutes before anyone stopped to see if I needed anything.

pdfangus":3mn0e8n5 said:

I got virgin mobile because it uses the Sprint network and sprint is the only carrier that has coverage where i live.

That sounds good to me. Are there any other costs and where did you get this getup?

I buy T-mobile cards. If you buy $100 cards you can get 1000 minutes ($.10). We looked at plans and I figure we could each go through 5 cards a year and still come out on top over the cheapest family or individual plans (by the time you add in all the fcc fees and taxes and all).

We had to buy our Phones, I think the wifes cost $19 and mine was $24. The Tmobile site has them all listed out.

AT&T has Go phones. I bought my mom one and then put $100 credit on it. It will tell you after each call how much you have left. You can add to it at anytime. Mom still has $100 on hers and it will expire in a couple days so I put another $100 on it to keep if from expiring. Now she has $200 that she won't use. She says "that's for emergencies". Can't convince her otherwise.

I did much the same a FlaBoy. "GO" phone for 20 and 100 for a years connection.
I don't use it much, but the one time I was stuck out in the field it paid for itself. I didn't have to walk home.
I use it so rarely I have trouble remembering my number. Or maybe that's my mind. :lol:

john250":pd7db8ub said:
I did much the same a FlaBoy. "GO" phone for 20 and 100 for a years connection.
I don't use it much, but the one time I was stuck out in the field it paid for itself. I didn't have to walk home.
I use it so rarely I have trouble remembering my number. Or maybe that's my mind. :lol:

Works good for a lot of folks who don't call or get called much. I would do it but all those heifers on Chowders place keep calling me wanting me to come pick them up. Takes me a while to explain I ain't got heavy enough equipment to haul them. ;-)

The thing to be careful of (I know verizon does this), is some companies charge a "daily use" fee wheter you use the phone or not. That will eat up your card minutes in a hurry.

cfpinz":9tfzggax said:
pdfangus":9tfzggax said:

That sounds good to me. Are there any other costs and where did you get this getup?

Well I did buy the phone but it was only about 20 bucks. To set it up you can call a number or go online to activate. I went on line and as soon as I put some money on my accout I heard the phone beep and I was good to go.

Most important item it to buy from a provider that has coverage where you are.

Sprint was my only available service and so virgin mobile was my best choice.

john250":phxqlgv5 said:

I don;t remember mine either. I know I can scroll through some screens to find it but it's easier and quicker to just keep the number taped to the back of the phone.

Latest posts