Cedars in pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

jsramer

Reaction score
The past few years been having small cedars in the pasture and have been bush-hogging them down. Each year there are more, what type of broadcast foliar spray would be best to get them under control?

Jeff

Remedy will kill eastern red cedars. I mix it with grazon and kill weeds also. As Joe stated burning will control cedar very well.

Brush hogging won't kill them unless you cut them nearly at the ground. If they are cut below the lowest branches they will die. Real small ones I pull, pencil size to thumb size I cut with a pair od shears/clippers, bigger I cut them with a chain saw. The trick on not getting them is to find every tree that has a berry on it (females) and cut them down and kill them.

what Dun said about cutting them is correct you have to get them below the first branch ,as for spraying I have had the best luck with Remedy, 2-4D works but the timing has to be right

if you mix remedy and 2-4D you can spray the trees and for weeds at the same time that combination is the equivalent to crossbow

Thanks for all the replys, I like the idea of burning the pasture but have never done this in the past, so may try a small patch to test my skills at that. I do know that the local coop does handle "crossbow" this may be my best alternative.
I'm on here and read weekly but very seldom ask or make comments "just kind of my nature" so it was nice to have so much quick and honest feedback.

thanks to each of you,
Jeff

If I was going to cut them down, I wouldn't use a machete. You'll get a sharp ended stump that will go through a tire like nobody's business. If you cut them down, use loppers or a chainsaw held so that the stump is left with a flat level surface as close to the ground as you can get. Burning will work if you have enough grass to get it hot.. Cedars are very fire intolerant.

jsramer":9sifn2x9 said:
Thanks for all the replys, I like the idea of burning the pasture but have never done this in the past, so may try a small patch to test my skills at that. I do know that the local coop does handle "crossbow" this may be my best alternative.
I'm on here and read weekly but very seldom ask or make comments "just kind of my nature" so it was nice to have so much quick and honest feedback.

thanks to each of you,
Jeff
You can take the 2-4D and remedy and mix it yourself for alot cheaper than buyimg Crossbow

ga. prime":3uf9jklr said:
If I was going to cut them down, I wouldn't use a machete. You'll get a sharp ended stump that will go through a tire like nobody's business. If you cut them down, use loppers or a chainsaw held so that the stump is left with a flat level surface as close to the ground as you can get. Burning will work if you have enough grass to get it hot.. Cedars are very fire intolerant.

Problem with burning is if they have any size you'll end up with just as bad stobs as cutting them at an angle.
Expensive when run over with the rear tire of a tractor that is filled with ballast.

dun":2rmpexuo said:
Problem with burning is if they have any size you'll end up with just as bad stobs as cutting them at an angle. Expensive when run over with the rear tire of a tractor that is filled with ballast.
That is an indisputable fact.

Latest posts