Cedar Trees?

Help Support CattleToday:

aplusmnt

Reaction score
We have about 30 acres that are pretty grown up with Cedar trees. Was going to have them dozed down when we get a pond cleaned up this spring. Any other use for them besides just a brush pile?

I do not think they are big enough for lumber, but some are pretty pretty decent sized. Thought I saw someone on here mention cedar as post once?

If you make a brushpile of them and burn it you stand a very good chance of sterilizing the soil from the heat. It's not really sterile but nothing will grow in that spot for a long while, even the weeds don;t grow much. We have a couple of spots that were burned cedar brushpiles 5 years ago and they're still just big barren dirt spots. Wrist size cedars make light weight posts or fence stays, 3-4 inch make good brace poles for floating braces, larger make decent fence posts.

dun

dun":1kwlptd9 said:
If you make a brushpile of them and burn it you stand a very good chance of sterilizing the soil from the heat. It's not really sterile but nothing will grow in that spot for a long while, even the weeds don;t grow much. We have a couple of spots that were burned cedar brushpiles 5 years ago and they're still just big barren dirt spots. Wrist size cedars make light weight posts or fence stays, 3-4 inch make good brace poles for floating braces, larger make decent fence posts.

dun

And anything above 10 inches diameter (30 inches around) will make nice lumber. Done it many times.

We are in the process of clearing about 20 acres of Cedar and Sapplings, for additional Pasture.Anything over 4" diameter is being used for posts, and we've been selling the real big stuff for poles.I couldn't see just dozing everything down and wasting those Cedars.Plus there's a good local market for the lumber.

I will have to go out with tape measure and see how big some of them are. Around here I have seen hedge being used a lot but never knew of cedar being used.

But we are needing to do lots of fence building, if I can save some cost on post I will for sure look at it closer.

Thanks Guys!

There's a mill near here that will buy cedar logs that are 4 inches in diameter at the small end. If you have some pretty good sized ones, see if any of the hobby/crafty folks might want them

dun

See if you have a pulp mill near by. We use cedar pulp
to make paper for the hospital gowns and the
different cleaning wipes out on the market

dun":g6r4ramh said:
There's a mill near here that will buy cedar logs that are 4 inches in diameter at the small end. If you have some pretty good sized ones, see if any of the hobby/crafty folks might want them

dun

We've got several of those up here too. They'll buy anything 4 inches in diameter on the small end, 4 ft long. Depending on the time of year, they pay $90-$100 per cord. We usually try to get a trailer load (4 cord) in the winter as we are cleaning out fence rows and cleaning up extra ground for pasture. Good for a little extra pocket money, but you'll work darn hard doing it. Just make sure you cut them cedars below the lowest branch, or they'll sprout back. We also keep some of the good ones back about 10-12 inches in diameter for corner posts if they are mostly red on the inside.

In addition to using them for lumber, poles, and posts, put some of the small ones, tops, limbs, etc. in your pond if you use it for a recreational pond. Bind those limbs, tops, etc. and sink them. Makes good fish cover. People here sink old Christmas trees in their ponds and off their boat docks to attract fish, especially crappie.

The cedar we use as posts are more akin to junipers. I had some that were over 30 foot and 18 inches diameter. A guy from Stephenville paid $150 a piece for them. He peels them and uses them for pillars.

My East Texas cedar is a different variety.

I forgot to mention that the buyers around here make them into shavings for the local turkey farmers to use as litter. They've got to use something to keep the stink down from them dirty birds. (Where is the emoticon that means stinky)

I just cut down 5 acres where my garden will go. I have a nice stack of poles for my fence.

In a couple of weeks I will be renting a chipper to make mulch. Everything around here is too dry to burn.

Talltinter":1sbj7ixj said:
In a couple of weeks I will be renting a chipper to make mulch. Everything around here is too dry to burn.

The local burn ban is still on here too. I have had piles of brush ready to burn for well over a year. I need to weld some things and outside welding is banned too. I have some really nice cedar posts myself but I am afraid to use them. They are cured now and ready to go. Problems is they will burn out in the next brush fire. There are some on the place that must be well over 50 years old, but they are on interior fencing.

El_Putzo":8x4cavbm said:
We also keep some of the good ones back about 10-12 inches in diameter for corner posts if they are mostly red on the inside.

The red is the heartwood, and the only part that will not be eaten by insects. The white outside portion, or sapwood, will be eaten by several varities of insects.

I cleared the plot of land my house is on now, and cut down several large cedar trees. I made one of our bathrooms cabinets from it. Came out nice. Everything else, was ofcourse, cypress.

As far as using cedar as corner or line post. Would it be more susceptible to fire than say Hedge? Went camping once and through some cedar logs on and it sure burned fast and hot.

ps. Cypress you seem to be quite the cabinet maker, a hobby or something you have did as work before?

jgn":1n20xc6s said:
Where would that mill be located at Dun?

mill.jpg

There is a place at Camdenton, MO.
It's across from the post office.
It might be the same one El Putzo is talking about.
I know they want the logs 44 or 48 inchs long.

aplusmnt":2p7o16oa said:
ps. Cypress you seem to be quite the cabinet maker, a hobby or something you have did as work before?

Aplus, I've been a woodworker for about 15 or so years. About 10 or so years ago, combined my woodworking know how with my guitar playing know how and started making guitars. I now have officially way too many hobbies for any human, and yes cattle is one of the hobbies.

dj":2ssfbv3o said:
There is a place at Camdenton, MO.
It's across from the post office.
It might be the same one El Putzo is talking about.
I know they want the logs 44 or 48 inchs long.

Where is the PO in Camdenton? As often as I've been through there, I rarely stop, I've never seen it

dun

Latest posts