ced ?

Help Support CattleToday:

trappersteve

Reaction score
Ok I have 3 heifers (2 hereford, 1angus)that I had planned to AI this December and was gonna clean em up with a young geilvieh bull but his ced number is 6. Will this geilvieh bull be safe to use on heifers or is his ced to low?

I haven;t kept up with the Gelbvieh EPDs so can offer no help there. From their websidte the average CED Gelbvieh is 8, based on that a 10 or better yet 12 would be more to my liking. Remember that the bull is only part of the equation. Particularly with heifers the bull used should be in the upper few percent of the breed for CED unless the heifers are in the upper few percent of CED for their breed. The growth of a F1 doesn;t start at birth, it's a factor from shortly after conception on.
http://www.gelbvieh.org/goopages/pages_ ... .pdf 

trappersteve":35zgpk5z said:
Ok I have 3 heifers (2 hereford, 1angus)that I had planned to AI this December and was gonna clean em up with a young geilvieh bull but his ced number is 6. Will this geilvieh bull be safe to use on heifers or is his ced to low?

His CE number is a lot more important for your purposes. As Dun said that number should be in the 10 to 12 range for you to consider him as a heifer bull. If you want to PM me his reg# i will be happy to look at his EPD's for you.

With the new epd's depending on his breeding, 6 is ok( but not the best the higher the better) i would be more concerned with his actual birthweight. The 6 score would be more for mature cows like dunn and 3 way stated. Second how are the heifer conditon are they bigger or mid size cattle?

double v":27znapo8 said:
With the new epd's depending on his breeding, 6 is ok( but not the best the higher the better) i would be more concerned with his actual birthweight. The 6 score would be more for mature cows like dunn and 3 way stated. Second how are the heifer conditon are they bigger or mid size cattle?

My point was he asked about CED not CE. CED should not have as significant of a bearing on this descision as CE. A 6 for CED is more than acceptable when considering whether or not to keep heifers out of a given bull. To me at least if it is the CE number then it needs to be at least above breed avg not below.

I could be wrong but isn't breed avg for CE for Purebred GV bulls an 8 and for Balancers a 10. A 6 for CED is actually a point above breed avg for a purebred bull. That however would not impact my descision to use him as a heifer bull.

What is his CE # ?

Those EPDs won't mean much if the heifers don't have large enough pelvic scores to have a calf safely. It's $2 a head here to have the vet check them, those that aren't large enough go to salebarn.
Blessings
Valerie

Ok Guys the heifers I got were salebarn bought and know nothing about their ancestry but they are good healthy heifers. I'll have to check on his ce numbers as I plan on borrowing him to clean up. And can someone explain the pelvic scores thing I have never heard of it

trappersteve":3c2cmy8b said:
Ok Guys the heifers I got were salebarn bought and know nothing about their ancestry but they are good healthy heifers. I'll have to check on his ce numbers as I plan on borrowing him to clean up. And can someone explain the pelvic scores thing I have never heard of it
http://www2.ca.uky.edu/agc/pubs/asc/asc144/asc144.htm
or google
G2041 Management Considerations in Beef Heifer Development

trappersteve":3ovzx765 said:

Like i said in my PM. PM me his reg # and i will be happy to evualate him for you!

3waycross":bnzxdfzp said:
trappersteve":bnzxdfzp said:

Like i said in my PM. PM me his reg # and i will be happy to evualate him for you!
Will do 3way I'll get it tomorrow when I go by there

My Balancer bull has CE#- 13 CED#- 8. Just like 3way said. He's a bull I use on heifers, Knock on wood have never pulled a calf on a heifer he's bred yet.

I wouldn't be concerned about using him. As 3way said the breed average this spring was CED +8 and CEM +5.

fitz

Latest posts