ced vs bw

Help Support CattleToday:

angusdave63

Reaction score
when you are looking at a bull to breed heifers to do you put more weight on ced or bw, or the combination of both, i like to go by bw numbers, but i have found over the years that it seems like it is more luck than anything else, thanks David

Depends on the accuracy of the CED, Relatively high CED I put it over BW. Low accuracy I pay more attention to dam-sire and their dam/sire. Shape of the calf has as much to do withbirthing issues as does weight.

I like to at both and then some of the websites also give you ratios to look at as well. If you have a good rep I would ask him as well.

i have a presestined son out of a cow with real high ce and low bw, and my heifers had a low bw as well, the biggest heifer was a char red poll cross and i weighed her in at 82 pounds, the others were angus herfy cross with a bw of around 67 or 68 pounds,

One of the beef scientists from CSU, who does the data evaluations and produces EPD for a lot of breeds, was asked that same question at the Denver stock show one year. His answer was that the CED had more variables calculated into it and was the stronger indicator. But like Dun said, without any accuracy, don't bet the farm on it.

dun":1vkgjw9g said:
Depends on the accuracy of the CED, Relatively high CED I put it over BW. Low accuracy I pay more attention to dam-sire and their dam/sire. Shape of the calf has as much to do withbirthing issues as does weight.

Yeppers!!
I've seen a little 80 lb chunker turn purple on the way out, the dam must have felt like she was pooping out a brick.
And I've also seen 100 long skinny calves come out like a rocket.

Accuracies should be about the same for CE & BW on the same bull.
CE is the most reliable indicator. Like Mo_cow said, Cornell Univ did all the Simmental EPD's and Dr Pollock said same thing. The CE has the BW included in it's calculations along with all the other factors. Cornell wanted to drop the BW ratio.

I also find the CE to be more reliable.
My brother likes focus more on BW...
Guess what, the calves I picked sires for came out just fine, no hard calvers, even if the BW was a little higher than what he would have picked. ;-)

Latest posts