CE & BW

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

What are the numbers for calving ease (CE) and birth weight (BW) for Simmental EPDs that you would recommend for a crossbred heifer? She is 50% Holstein, 25% Charolais, and 25% Angus. Are there any other Simmental EPD's I should consider? Thank you

[email protected]

Current Simmental breed averages are: CE 3, BW 3.4, WW 35.9, YW 58.9, Maternal CE 1.3, Maternal Milk 7.8, Maternal WW 25.8 EDP's are a tool. They are not a perfect science. I would use a proven calving ease bull with a CE of 10+ and a birth weight of 0 or minus. All epd's are important - depending on what your goals are. I never recommend a bull that is a CE bull and also has low growth. In the Simmental breed there are a tremendous number of bulls to choose from. We have great "spread" bulls - meaning great CE low BW with really good growth traits. That's what I would recommend. Do you want a black bull or a red bull? Jeanne <A HREF="http://www.SimmeValley.com" TARGET="_blank">http://www.SimmeValley.com</A>
> What are the numbers for calving
> ease (CE) and birth weight (BW)
> for Simmental EPDs that you would
> recommend for a crossbred heifer?
> She is 50% Holstein, 25%
> Charolais, and 25% Angus. Are
> there any other Simmental EPD's I
> should consider? Thank you

[email protected]

> Current Simmental breed averages
> are: CE 3, BW 3.4, WW 35.9, YW
> 58.9, Maternal CE 1.3, Maternal
> Milk 7.8, Maternal WW 25.8 EDP's
> are a tool. They are not a perfect
> science. I would use a proven
> calving ease bull with a CE of 10+
> and a birth weight of 0 or minus.
> All epd's are important -
> depending on what your goals are.
> I never recommend a bull that is a
> CE bull and also has low growth.
> In the Simmental breed there are a
> tremendous number of bulls to
> choose from. We have great
> "spread" bulls - meaning
> great CE low BW with really good
> growth traits. That's what I would
> recommend. Do you want a black
> bull or a red bull? Jeanne
> <A HREF="http://www.SimmeValley.com" TARGET="_blank">http://www.SimmeValley.com</A>

For her first breeding color is not really an issue; I just want the best calf I can get without causing my heifer unnessasry problems. I'm looking for a strong mother and a strong calf of any color...(purple would be neat)...lol A "spread" bull sounds like what I need. Select Sires is the AI company most people use around here. In fact the people I got her from use AI through them, but I don't think she has AI bulls in her background, butI could be wrong.

[email protected]

Select Sire has a great black bull called Nichols Legacy, extremely good on calving ease with slightly above average growth. They have a red bull MV Red Light that has been around for a long time, producing great calves (I have a few daughters in my herd). Proven calving ease sire with average growth and great maternal traits. Both would be excellent choices. They also carry 3C Full Figures which is one of the top national calving ease bulls, but his growth isn't quite as good, although I think you would be very happy with the offspring. He is heterozygous blank and polled. Meaning he could throw a red gene or a black gene, and he could throw a horn gene or a polled gene. Clear as mud? Jeanne Jeanne
> For her first breeding color is
> not really an issue; I just want
> the best calf I can get without
> causing my heifer unnessasry
> problems. I'm looking for a strong
> mother and a strong calf of any
> color...(purple would be
> neat)...lol A "spread"
> bull sounds like what I need.
> Select Sires is the AI company
> most people use around here. In
> fact the people I got her from use
> AI through them, but I don't think
> she has AI bulls in her
> background, butI could be wrong.

[email protected]

> Select Sire has a great black bull
> called Nichols Legacy, extremely
> good on calving ease with slightly
> above average growth. They have a
> red bull MV Red Light that has
> been around for a long time,
> producing great calves (I have a
> few daughters in my herd). Proven
> calving ease sire with average
> growth and great maternal traits.
> Both would be excellent choices.
> They also carry 3C Full Figures
> which is one of the top national
> calving ease bulls, but his growth
> isn't quite as good, although I
> think you would be very happy with
> the offspring. He is heterozygous
> blank and polled. Meaning he could
> throw a red gene or a black gene,
> and he could throw a horn gene or
> a polled gene. Clear as mud?
> Jeanne Jeanne

I got it. I was looking at a bull through select sires named Six Shooter his EPD's are: CE 16.5 acc. .38, BW -0.6 acc. .72, WW 43.8 acc. .59, YW 79.5 acc. .52, MCE 2.7 acc. .18, Milk 5.3 acc. .26, MWW 27.2 acc. ,27, CW 4.2 acc. .33, %RC .28 acc. .29 MARB .18 acc. .33

He is Homo polled and Homo Black. How important are the acc. numbers? How can I get a list of straw prices from Select Sires? What do you think? These are EPD's for 2002.

[email protected]

Six shooter is $18.00 per unit. With heifers, acc. (accuracy) is vitally important. Until a bull has acc. in the .8 range you can get some nasty surprises.

dunmovin farms

> I got it. I was looking at a bull
> through select sires named Six
> Shooter his EPD's are: CE 16.5
> acc. .38, BW -0.6 acc. .72, WW
> 43.8 acc. .59, YW 79.5 acc. .52,
> MCE 2.7 acc. .18, Milk 5.3 acc.
> .26, MWW 27.2 acc. ,27, CW 4.2
> acc. .33, %RC .28 acc. .29 MARB
> .18 acc. .33

> He is Homo polled and Homo Black.
> How important are the acc.
> numbers? How can I get a list of
> straw prices from Select Sires?
> What do you think? These are EPD's
> for 2002.

Just give Select sires a call & ask for their price sheet. Legacy is $20, Red Light is $20, 3C Full Figures $$18. You will need to purchase 5 staws unless your AI tech has the semen on hand. I guess I wouldn't worry about the CE on Six Shooter with his pedigree & his performance, BUT, I personnally do not like his phenotype. He's heavier in the front than the rear. But that's my opinion. I like super clean fronts and big butts, deep flank with lots of volume and length. You have to like what you pick to look at. Jeanne <A HREF="http://www.SimmeValley.com" TARGET="_blank">http://www.SimmeValley.com</A>

> I got it. I was looking at a bull
> through select sires named Six
> Shooter his EPD's are: CE 16.5
> acc. .38, BW -0.6 acc. .72, WW
> 43.8 acc. .59, YW 79.5 acc. .52,
> MCE 2.7 acc. .18, Milk 5.3 acc.
> .26, MWW 27.2 acc. ,27, CW 4.2
> acc. .33, %RC .28 acc. .29 MARB
> .18 acc. .33

> He is Homo polled and Homo Black.
> How important are the acc.
> numbers? How can I get a list of