Cdir or no Cidr?

Help Support CattleToday:

driffter007

Reaction score
What protocols do you all like to use. We have been using a 14 day Cidr for heifers and 7 day Cdir for cows. Considering not using Cdir protocol next year. What are ya'lls thoughts

On the dairy we will give heifers a cidr but cows just got the 7 2 1 protocol (no cidr)

I have read different articles and studies that show as good or better results without using a Cidr as long as you have the time to heat detect. We had poor results on our heifers this year using Cidrs. Thank you for your response ez14

wbvs58":3rwri61y said:
ez14.":3rwri61y said:
On the dairy we will give heifers a cidr but cows just got the 7 2 1 protocol (no cidr)

What is your 7 2 1 protocol?

Ken
First shot GnRH

7 days later they get a lutalyse shot

2 days later they get another GnRH shot

1 day later they get bred

Do you achieve a pretty good conception rate with the 7 2 1? And you use this on heifers (non dairy)as well?

ez14.":2c0n21f6 said:
wbvs58":2c0n21f6 said:
ez14.":2c0n21f6 said:

Ken
First shot GnRH

Thanks.

Ken

ez14.":3bgg26r4 said:
wbvs58":3bgg26r4 said:
ez14.":3bgg26r4 said:

Ken
First shot GnRH

Just curious, what is your percentage of bred cows with this method?

driffter007":19oqiqq1 said:
What protocols do you all like to use. We have been using a 14 day Cidr for heifers and 7 day Cdir for cows. Considering not using Cdir protocol next year. What are ya'lls thoughts

We use 7 days on heifers and cows.

driffter007":3afom2k3 said:
Do you achieve a pretty good conception rate with the 7 2 1? And you use this on heifers (non dairy)as well?
Like I said before heifers will get a cidr (beef or dairy)

I'm not sure what the exact % of conception is but In the summer we do struggle getting the cows bred (we have a warm barn built in the 1960s which needs some improvements to keep it cooler in the summer) but In the winter we do pretty good

kilroy60":2kyaezml said:
driffter007":2kyaezml said:

As do we works well for us. but we ai cows 63 hours after pulling cidrs and heifers 54 hours post cidr pulling.

MRRherefords":da8rvmep said:
kilroy60":da8rvmep said:
driffter007":da8rvmep said:

As do we works well for us. but we ai cows 63 hours after pulling cidrs and heifers 54 hours post cidr pulling.
Just curious on how you came up with the hours you determined to AI? Even if they show no signs of heat you still AI to these hours?

kilroy60":p396kfr6 said:
MRRherefords":p396kfr6 said:
kilroy60":p396kfr6 said:
Just curious on how you came up with the hours you determined to AI? Even if they show no signs of heat you still AI to these hours?
Our Ai tech recommended 60-66 hours post cidr pulling to Ai, we used to ai at 60 hours, but had bad conception rates as our tech said that they were not quite strong enough yet. As for the heifers they recommend between 52-56 hours. so we averaged that out to 54 hours. If they are showing signs of heat pre 63 hours, our tech said still to wait until the 63, that way they will be really strong. We believe they have a better chance of taking that way. And so far I believe that their has only been 1-2 that have not taken due to going out of heat. If anything when we used to do 60, our tech would tell us that she was not quite strong enough and that even another hour or two would have increased conception rate.

If you want better response, put the cidr in, you can do it with absolutely nothing if you want to check heat for 25 days. Worth the $10 to me to be done in 2 days with my breeding.
Straight timed A I, I'll go just a few hours longer than previously mentioned, but really like to check heat, and have 2 breeding sessions

We are going to try the 7day Co-sych with Cidr (it is our usual protocol) with an extra time through the chute with Lut at the end. I'll report back with our results. Our normal protocol yields 50-75% uptake/success.

We use the 7 day sync with Cidr. Heat detect and breed 12 hours after heat activity. TAI at 72 hours post Cidr for heifers and 84 hours for cows. GNRH at breeding.
We have found very good success doing this.

I'm going to run some through and just give a shot of lute and throw a patch on. What would be the best time of day go give the shot?

Latest posts