CCS Revisited

Help Support CattleToday:

RD-Sam

Reaction score
I was sitting here thinking about all these AMC cows and heifers, and a big question came to mind? Bare in mind I am not up to speed on genetics and we don't have a full report on this thing yet. Could these carrier cows and heifers be used as recips for embryo transplant? This came to mind as a result of that thought, is this a problem with the fertilized egg, or is this a problem with the genetic makup of the cow, and her not being able to develope the fertilized egg properly? :dunce:

There would be no problem with them being a recip cow. I suspect that many of the average to slightly above average cows that are carriers will wind up as recips. The recip does not contribute any of her DNA to the embryo so even if she was a carrier, there is no chance that the embryo could be a carrier if he is from genetics that are free.

Exactly, the carriers will all make good recips and they are good commercial cows as long as you breed them to an AMFree bull.

Brandonm22":17my8m5m said:
Exactly, the carriers will all make good recips and they are good commercial cows as long as you breed them to an AMFree bull.

I don't think some of them would make much of a commercial cow if they were ccs free.

EAT BEEF":uvmgbbgq said:
Brandonm22":uvmgbbgq said:

I don't think some of them would make much of a commercial cow if they were ccs free.

Since 80% of commercial calves go to slaughter, you wouldn't have any problem with using AMCarriers as commercial cows (provided this is found to be a recessive type trait). You could even keep heifers out of them as long as you were careful to always use AMFree bulls.

Latest posts