CCR Boulder

Help Support CattleToday:

kentuckyguy

Reaction score
Had our first CCR Boulder calf hit the ground yesterday.

Eii64R9.jpg

HMOxpGK.jpg

kS0Gx81.jpg

He's a stout looking little sucker. I'll try to update as he grows.

He is low BW the calf only weighed about 65lbs. But the calf has lots of bone and I really like the way he is made. He just looks like a good calf.

I prefer a little heavier boned cattle.

kentuckyguy said:
He is low BW the calf only weighed about 65lbs. But the calf has lots of bone and I really like the way he is made. He just looks like a good calf.

He weighed 65# or your assuming about 65# ? The assuming part is why us seedstock guys that weigh every calf for generations can't talk the assuming people into buying bulls that weigh over 100# at birth even tho it happens daily

I picked him up but didn't take the scales. It's out of a commercial cow so I didn't need the BW

[/quote]
He weighed 65# or your assuming about 65# ? The assuming part is why us seedstock guys that weigh every calf for generations can't talk the assuming people into buying bulls that weigh over 100# at birth even tho it happens daily
[/quote]

I have found that without actually weighing you can be way off on birthweight. I almost always assume they are lighter than they actually are after putting them on the scale. Had a guy see one of my calves the morning after it was born. He said, "I bet that cow didnt have trouble with that little calf. What's it weigh about 70 lbs?"
It weighed 96lbs!
No big deal if a commercial guy doesn't want to take time to weigh calves. But I often wonder about accuracy on the registered animals. Do people estimate or actually weigh calves. No way to know.
Sorry for getting off topic. That is a nice looking calf. I have thought about using Boulder.

Till-Hill said:
kentuckyguy said:

I agree with that. I weigh every single one, registrable or not.

Not being able to pick up a 85-90 pound calf we got a hanging scale, a pulley, and a calf sling.

Something like this:

ABS has Boulder on special through the 15th if anyone is interested. His sexcel semen is $40, conventional is $15. Pretty good deal on the conventional IMHO. I may get a few to put in the tank at that price...max is 10 straws so not like it's going to break the bank. LOL

Latest posts