CCR Boulder

Help Support CattleToday:

He weighed 65# or your assuming about 65# ? The assuming part is why us seedstock guys that weigh every calf for generations can't talk the assuming people into buying bulls that weigh over 100# at birth even tho it happens daily
[/quote]

I have found that without actually weighing you can be way off on birthweight. I almost always assume they are lighter than they actually are after putting them on the scale. Had a guy see one of my calves the morning after it was born. He said, "I bet that cow didnt have trouble with that little calf. What's it weigh about 70 lbs?"
It weighed 96lbs!
No big deal if a commercial guy doesn't want to take time to weigh calves. But I often wonder about accuracy on the registered animals. Do people estimate or actually weigh calves. No way to know.
Sorry for getting off topic. That is a nice looking calf. I have thought about using Boulder.
[/QUOTE]

I would say that I can probably guess more accurately than most, especially if I pick the calf up I can usually get within a couple pounds but I still weigh every calf as well and wouldnt trust myself to be accurate enough for reporting weights because I still miss one by a fair margin every now and then. I am very surprised though when I have either been at a neighbors place or them at mine and seen them try to guess, people who calve cows all the time, and have seen them be off by over 20 pounds telling me what clearly is a 100+ pound calf isnt that big, maybe 80 pounds or telling me that what is clearly an 80 pound calf is tiny and probably doesnt weigh more than 60 or 65. Especially on big calves I people want to assume they are lighter than they are.

Latest posts