CB--Some cattle down Winnie way

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
Not mine--just some I took a pic of down hwy 124 between Stowell and High Island/Intracoastal bridge.. Just East of White Ranch road. Things look better down there than I've seen in several years.

Pics don't do them justice--they looked good, considering the 'environment' they get to graze in most of the year.

Those are on white ranch. He has some real nice beef masters in one pasture .. he has some high horn brahman cross cows too . A friend of mine is on a duck lease a couple miles down.. as of a few years ago they still swam the cows across the intracoastal water way . I know one of the guys that works for them .

When I was young used to duck hunt Trinity bay up in Jacks Pocket.
The cattle in there reminds you of a Nat geo documentary on cape buffaloes. The river or sloughs didn't mean anything to them. Those were tough girls they was no way of knowing how many calves survived. There is no doubt in my mind some of those cattle from birth till death were never penned.

JSCATTLE":3qsmbz85 said:
Those are on white ranch. He has some real nice beef masters in one pasture .. he has some high horn brahman cross cows too . A friend of mine is on a duck lease a couple miles down.. as of a few years ago they still swam the cows across the intracoastal water way . I know one of the guys that works for them .
I figured those were White Ranch. Good to see he has come back ok from all the damage and problems Ike caused them.

greybeard":1ic5hgzc said:
JSCATTLE":1ic5hgzc said:
I figured those were White Ranch. Good to see he has come back ok from all the damage and problems Ike caused them.
I'm not forsure but I was told the cattlethey lost during ike was in the thousands .

They run cows a lot different down there from thirty to forty years ago.
If we're to taken a picture back then all you would have gotten was tails as they high tailed it to Anahuac.
They for sure wouldn't have been on green pasture with a decent fence.
It would have been a rusted out three strand on Hwy 87 and nothing but the bay on the backside.
There would have been blackened pastures from burning off the salt grass.

There was a big haze from the marsh burning while I was there, but it was being burned on the bay side of the highway.
That fence, on both sides of the road is new since Ike. I'm guessing insurance paid off.
Dunno if the White Ranch is on both sides of 124 all the way to 87 or not.

Going toward Bolivar, the restaurant there just out of Winnie on the right, has tons of pics from the White Ranch from the 40s and 50s--probably earlier too. Or used to anyway. I haven't been in there since they changed to a BBQ place.

That cow funnel looks bigger than my whole place from this angle.
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.6741547 ... a=!3m1!1e3

Latest posts