Caving Question

Help Support CattleToday:

sozo

Reaction score
I have a cow that had a calf 9 months and 3 weeks ago.Last week I noticed she was laying down with the rest of the herd and looked like she was trying to have the calf,part was even beginning to come out and she looked like she was having contractions.I thought it was weird her not going off by herself to do it.I got her up in the pen to keep an eye on her,that was a week ago.She is springing more than she was but still no calf.To complicate matters the last year she has begin to limp and look like it hurts her to walk and that is worst now.She is still eating well and very alert.Should I call a vet?Thanks for any ideas.

If you are inexperienced gloving up and going through the rectum you will not be sure of what you have. I do not suggest trying to go through the vulva so I would say yes call a vet. If she was exposed immediately after she calved she could easily have been bred on her first heat after calving and that sometimes causes problems as she did not have time to clean off properly..

Yes, call a vet.

But if she was trying to calve a week ago, they'd both be dead by now it seems.

Had a cow with a prolapsed vagina once and she couldn't pee. She'd contract to try and pee. The vaginal prolapse could look like "something coming out" I suppose and would get worse as she "contracted" to pee.

hmmm this was posted in january and still not update. naughty naughty sozo. prolapse sounds liek a good call to me too.

Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate it. The vet came out today and said she has a large calf, still alive in her. He said when she lays down some may protrude out, but should go back in when she stands up.

I actually joined in January and posted this last night. :)

Well that is good news that the calf is still alive.

Vaginal prolapse, did the vet stitch her? You will have to watch her closely during and after calving and keep an eye on that prolapse so it does not turn into something more serious..

If it doesn;t go back in after she gets up and walks around a bit she will need attention. Otherwise benign neglect

angus9259":14gxbeb1 said:
sozo":14gxbeb1 said:
she looked like she was having contractions.

Is she not having contractions then?

Frequently when they get that bubble part way out they will strain some like they're trying to calve.

congrats. wish my prolapsed cow would have stayed together that long. had to stitch her twice, induce labor, cut the stitch, let her calve, and re-stitch. she went to the kill pen after she weaned that calf.

angus9259":1jr0hwu5 said:
congrats. wish my prolapsed cow would have stayed together that long. had to stitch her twice, induce labor, cut the stitch, let her calve, and re-stitch. she went to the kill pen after she weaned that calf.
Man,guess I was very fortunate. :eek:

i had one start prolapsing this week, off and on. it stuck out pretty far tho. she calved today. her calf was upside down.

Latest posts