Caustic, Wannabees and Texas

Help Support CattleToday:

Alice":15lvlc5u said:
backhoeboogie":15lvlc5u said:
Alice":15lvlc5u said:
I wouldn't know him if I was sitting next to him in Jake and Dorothy's.

Alice

Jake and Dorothy's ??? Now there is a landmark!

Yeah, it is. When I was growing up it was a just place that I wasn't "allowed" to go in after a certain time of night. 8)

Jake and Dorothy's daughter owns and runs it now...and it still does a booming business. I remember this guy that cooked in there...we called him Frog. He was one of those that you didn't want to watch cook anything... :p 'Course it didn't keep us from eating those chicken fried steaks. :D

That was 40 years ago...and the guy still cooks there...discovered that just the other day...and he's cleaned up his act immeasurably. And the waitresses still pile plates full of food on their arms all the way up to their shoulders.

There's a lot of "history" connected to that place... :lol:

Alice

Chickenfried steak and waffle fries - Frog's speciality! Many memorable evening's at J & D's while attending TSU.

ALACOWMAN":2pfua961 said:
BILL PICKETT worked for the 101 ranch in near ponca city oklahoma they developed their own wild west show. he would bite the steers lower lip to bring him down

That is little more "up close and personal" than I want with my steers.
How the * do you get your teeth onto a streaking steers lip? You would have to occasionally bang heads, and my quess is I wouldn't be the one standing.
This makes the NFL look like ring around the rosie.

john250":1bzokgtl said:
ALACOWMAN":1bzokgtl said:
BILL PICKETT worked for the 101 ranch in near ponca city oklahoma they developed their own wild west show. he would bite the steers lower lip to bring him down

How the * do you get your teeth onto a streaking steers lip? You would have to occasionally bang heads, and my quess is I wouldn't be the one standing.
he might of had a hard head but it could'nt withstand a kick from the horse that did him in

ALACOWMAN":1du12lta said:
john250":1du12lta said:
ALACOWMAN":1du12lta said:

he might of had a hard head but it could'nt withstand a kick from the horse that did him in

Well, he was around 73 when that happened... :?

Alice

MillIronQH":1s6grk6e said:
IMO the greatest sure nuff cowboy that ever lived was Freckles Brown. I was behind the chutes in OKC in 1967 when he covered Tornado. The next week a bunch of us helped him haul his hay. He knew cattle and he knew horses and he had a " no quit or back-up" attitude. And he helped raise the next man in line for the honor. Lane Frost.Z

That must of been something to experience that. It was before my time but it sure sounded amazing listening to it in the song by Red Steagall. In Mercedes, Tx theres a good ranch rodeo during their livestock show in February or March, can't remember.

I had to make a run up to Las Vegas to pick a relative up from the airport on Monday.
Talk about entertainment!!
Looked like this :cboy: :cboy: :cboy: :cboy: :cboy: only in brand new pickups!!! Dudes and Dudettes all over the place. I have never seen so many NEW 10 gallon hats and boots WITHOUT poop on em, in my life!! And everything, Ladies does not have to have fringe!! Boots with fringe, now thats just silly.
WOOHOO Finals in Vegas!! If ya ever get the chance, it's a hoot to go see and I aint talkin bout the Rodeo :lol:

I went a few times when it was in the cow palace since I lived a coule of blocks away. Back then you could walk up and by tickets at the gate.
Now I am starting to feel old

dun

kjones":22ak13es said:
If you've ever seen the footage of Hedeman getting his face busted you'll see why he got the nickname Tough. His face was shattered from his chin to his forehead, and he walked out of the arena. Course the end result is he looks a lot different than he used to.

I heard him say in an interview once, "For the hundreds of thousands of dollars in doctor and hospital bills, you'd have thought they surely could have made me better lookin." He actually got the nickname Tough Nut, later shortened to Tuff, from an incident when he was 4 or 5 and got his hand caught in a pickup door and didn't cry or complain.

Alice":fi1s35vf said:
ALACOWMAN":fi1s35vf said:
john250":fi1s35vf said:
ALACOWMAN":fi1s35vf said:

Alice
that's no excuse :p

ALACOWMAN":2372lrqg said:
Alice":2372lrqg said:
john250":2372lrqg said:

Alice
that's no excuse :p

hmmm, ok then...it took him 11 days to die :p

Alice

I know about the incident with Hedeman as a kid, but getting his face busted up just shows they called it right back then.

Boy Dun, you must be getting up there. It took me a second or two to even remember that the finals was held at the Cow Palace. And I thought it was a long time ago when I went to it in OK City.

dun":2rm8xriu said:
I went a few times when it was in the cow palace since I lived a coule of blocks away. Back then you could walk up and by tickets at the gate.
Now I am starting to feel old

dun
allright dun if you think you are getting old take your hat off and see if there is a turtle pin on it. then you'll know

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did someone ask if Ty Murray is a cowboy? and also stated he was a champion bullrider, yes he is all of that world champion caliber bull rider, bronc and bareback rider, not to bad a roper and I remember a few years back he was in the pro rodeo sports news riding a jumping horse in some big rodeo out east, it takes a horseman to hang on to a jumping horse, not to mention a bucking horse, but we are all used to bucking horses aren't we? sounds like it anyway. Up north most rodeo hands are cowboys, the towns are to small and a dude would catch a lot of crap. also most rodeo people are only one generation from the family farm as of course the eighties and even seventies were devasting to the family farm, but the blood still flows thru the veins of these people and rodeo is one way to get "back". 40 acre ranchettes and the people that can buy them and corporate farming will eradicate the cowboy or at least change the definition. I raise cows, have horses and train them(kinda), rope them when I have to, and rode bulls for 10 years and loved every minute of it. Unfortunately I also work construction to fill the fridge.

I've met hunter jumper people as well as dressage folks, some of them can ride but they are a far cry from cowboys. The point is that alot of people can ride rough stock and maybe even rope a corrinete but alot of Rodeo People don't know the first thing about the Cowboy. Some places are thicker than others with dudes and Rodeo dudes as i before mentioned. The chance is still out there to cowboy, if you want to do what it takes. For most its easier to buy the hat and pretend.

Beef11":tjg3ueqf said:
For most its easier to buy the hat and pretend.

There are some kids who give it a try and I don't fault them for it. Heck I even enter a steer saddling event 25 years ago just for kicks when some buddies asked me to help with some fund raising things.

Now the hats are funny. Ya'll are talking Texas in this thread and I can tell you, years ago you knew when it was Easter, because you didn't get caught dead wearing felt after Easter. If you did you stuck out like a sore thumb and everyone knew you were a drug store wannabe. You also didn't wear straw after Labor Day. Most folks pretty much still stick to that tradition. So along about Easter it is pretty easy to tell who is who.

Then there are those of us who pretty much wear caps all the time. We probably keep folks second guessing.

Now the hats are funny. Ya'll are talking Texas in this thread and I can tell you, years ago you knew when it was Easter, because you didn't get caught dead wearing felt after Easter. If you did you stuck out like a sore thumb and everyone knew you were a drug store wannabe. You also didn't wear straw after Labor Day. Most folks pretty much still stick to that tradition. So along about Easter it is pretty easy to tell who is who.

Then there are those of us who pretty much wear caps all the time. We probably keep folks second guessing.

The cowboy traditions are interesting like felt and Texas Up in the north and even down down into nevada felt gets worn all year round straw doesn't come out in the winter though. I was out in Nebraska in Sept and was impressed with how much different the styles were from around here. I'm close to buckaroo country and dang near Wyoming and Montana all three have very different looks.

ALACOWMAN":1hzs5kod said:
MillIronQH":1hzs5kod said:
dun":1hzs5kod said:
I think the first time they were tried they were probably preceded with "Hold my beer and watch this".
On another note, why didn;t bull tripping ever become a big time rodeo event?

dun

Steer Tripping was pretty popular 45-50 years ago but was the first rodeo event the ASPCA targeted. I have to admit there were a lot of steers got their neck broken. It was outlawed in most states and the last time I heard about it as an event was at Cheyenne. But they don't do it there anymore either. I think that when the RCA became the PRCA they just dumped it. Part of the reason for that is probably that at every major rodeo in the country there always seems to be an ASPCA watchdog behind the chutes.Z
don't they still trip steers in oklahoma? they have the finals in conjunction with with the PRC finals

The money from Steer Roping counts toward the All-Around and a World Champion is named each year. These are the unofficial standings for 2006. Steer Roping works best in arenas much larger than Las Vegas with a longer score

ProRodeo Cowboys World Standings - Steer Roping Standings
Rank Name City State Earnings Count
1 Trevor Brazile Decatur, Texas 87,090 35
2 J P Wickett Sallisaw, Okla. 70,761 41
3 J.R. Olson Sheridan, Wyo. 47,691 35
4 Guy Allen Santa Anna, Texas 44,666 36
5 Vin Fisher Jr Andrews, Texas 42,827 43
6 Scott Snedecor Uvalde, Texas 42,207 27
7 Cash Myers Athens, Texas 37,836 22
8 Chet Herren Pawhuska, Okla. 36,047 34
9 Rocky Patterson Pratt, Kan. 33,201 34
10 J.R. Magdeburg III Cushing, Okla. 30,946 42

Just wanted to mention, although some rodeo events have nothing to do with ranch work, they are originated by cowboys, maybe after working calves or something, I tried for years to perfect the pony express mount at dang near every gathering or cattle working I went to as a kid and even now when I am 40-ish I still am trying to figure it out. Point is when cowboys get together with time on their hands and livestock in the vicinity there will be action, with or without booze. Rodeo is a great sport for any age and I suppose any lifestyle, every dude riding bulls is one less animal rights activist!

eatbeef":ozclnox2 said:
Just wanted to mention, although some rodeo events have nothing to do with ranch work, they are originated by cowboys, maybe after working calves or something

Absolutely. Probably the same way horse racing got started.

mbdear":3e0vx3q5 said:
ALACOWMAN":3e0vx3q5 said:
MillIronQH":3e0vx3q5 said:
dun":3e0vx3q5 said:
I think the first time they were tried they were probably preceded with "Hold my beer and watch this".
On another note, why didn;t bull tripping ever become a big time rodeo event?

dun

Steer Tripping was pretty popular 45-50 years ago but was the first rodeo event the ASPCA targeted. I have to admit there were a lot of steers got their neck broken. It was outlawed in most states and the last time I heard about it as an event was at Cheyenne. But they don't do it there anymore either. I think that when the RCA became the PRCA they just dumped it. Part of the reason for that is probably that at every major rodeo in the country there always seems to be an ASPCA watchdog behind the chutes.Z
don't they still trip steers in oklahoma? they have the finals in conjunction with with the PRC finals

The money from Steer Roping counts toward the All-Around and a World Champion is named each year. These are the unofficial standings for 2006. Steer Roping works best in arenas much larger than Las Vegas with a longer score

ProRodeo Cowboys World Standings - Steer Roping Standings
Rank Name City State Earnings Count
1 Trevor Brazile Decatur, Texas 87,090 35
2 J P Wickett Sallisaw, Okla. 70,761 41
3 J.R. Olson Sheridan, Wyo. 47,691 35
4 Guy Allen Santa Anna, Texas 44,666 36
5 Vin Fisher Jr Andrews, Texas 42,827 43
6 Scott Snedecor Uvalde, Texas 42,207 27
7 Cash Myers Athens, Texas 37,836 22
8 Chet Herren Pawhuska, Okla. 36,047 34
9 Rocky Patterson Pratt, Kan. 33,201 34
10 J.R. Magdeburg III Cushing, Okla. 30,946 42
looks like guy allen is slacking he usually dominates that event. i don't think they would jerk steers in the thomas & mack even if it was larger, is it even legal in nevada?

Latest posts