Caustic, Wannabees and Texas

Help Support CattleToday:

Beef11

Reaction score
It seems that mr. Burno our often slightly overzealous friend seems to have issues with the modern "cowboyappearusignorus" (Wannabee Cowboy) I feel his pain to a certain degree I've been to Texas and its a great state but it is brim full of Cowboys most of which struggle telling the front of a horse from the back if they got close to one i'm sure they could figure it out. Cattle are thought of as the things that "buck" if they ever get the chance to get up close to them they will realize that they are a quick way to make a mess of their western wear. It seems that finding the way to the western store is the first and only credential needed.

Rodeo cowboys and i use the term loosley seem to have changed alot in recent decades I have spent some time with their sort lately and it seems that many of them are completely ignorant of livestock in every way other than holding onto whatever beast they enter up in.

Big hats and Buckles just cost money.

Beef11":3spqq5ma said:
It seems that mr. Burno our often slightly overzealous friend seems to have issues with the modern "cowboyappearusignorus" (Wannabee Cowboy) I feel his pain to a certain degree I've been to Texas and its a great state but it is brim full of Cowboys most of which struggle telling the front of a horse from the back if they got close to one i'm sure they could figure it out. Cattle are thought of as the things that "buck" if they ever get the chance to get up close to them they will realize that they are a quick way to make a mess of their western wear. It seems that finding the way to the western store is the first and only credential needed.

Rodeo cowboys and i use the term loosley seem to have changed alot in recent decades I have spent some time with their sort lately and it seems that many of them are completely ignorant of livestock in every way other than holding onto whatever beast they enter up in.

Thats no joke but you left out the big crew cab truck with the drunk proof bumper.
Lot of all hat and no cattle in this state.

Not big on hats myself, but I was near Otter Montana a few years ago and spent from sunup to dark outdoors. I found my baseball cap lacking to say the least. I probably would have bought one of those mexican sombreros if I could have found one. :lol:

Beef11":2yc4i5zm said:

the old rodeo cowboys were just that. cowboys like PHIL LYNE he was the real deal a rancher/ rodeo cowboy he could do it all.. bulls. broncs rope and dog . not a apartment cowboy. most are atheletes that have never pulled a calf . sewn up a prolaspe worked cattle . most just get in the dam way

ALACOWMAN":dmqcgwkz said:
the old rodeo cowboys were just that. cowboys like PHIL LYNE he was the real deal a rancher/ rodeo cowboy he could do it all.. bulls. broncs rope and dog . not a apartment cowboy. most are atheletes that have never pulled a calf . sewn up a prolaspe worked cattle . most just get in the dam way

And what's the deal with the flak jackets and head protectors? I alwasy figured anyone hard headed enough to ride bulls would be hard headed enough to be on an even footing with a bull.

dun

If you've ever seen the footage of Hedeman getting his face busted you'll see why he got the nickname Tough. His face was shattered from his chin to his forehead, and he walked out of the arena. Course the end result is he looks a lot different than he used to.

Well far be it from me to pick on Texan's :lol: but, I saw an interview the other day with some "real rodeo cowboys" and they said they rent their horses mostly from folks who train or trained them.

While I do agree there are many cowboys who are all hat, I don't think they all live in Texas. I just happen to know a bull rider. I was talking to him about the horse I have that wants to star in the rodeo as a bronc. I told him to come on over and he could ride the buck out of this horse for me. He made about three excuses as to why he couldn't make it in the first sentence. Now this old boy is 20 years my junior too! I said "you ride bulls and won't ride this horse?" His response was you can get hurt on a horse. Go figure.

most rodeo cowboys in texas came from somewere else anyway . they just moved there to get closer to the good rodeos. the same with good horse trainers and breeders

ALACOWMAN":1i3d6bie said:
most rodeo cowboys in texas came from somewere else anyway . they just moved there to get closer to the good rodeos. the same with good horse trainers and breeders

I am not sure we have any good horse trainers or breeders, millionare neighbor is dang near broke trying to be the high dollar horse business.
We do have good rodeo's with lots of hats.

There are a lot of rodeo cowboys out there who are also ranch cowboys. At this years NFR there is about half a dozen bronc riders from S. Dakota. You look at there home town and they are some little way stop with about 100 people. You know those boys are ranch raised.

As a group bull riders are about the most uncowboy group of cowboys. Again as a group bronc riders and ropers tend to come off ranches more. Roping and topping off a bronc can be a part of life especially on western ranches. But how many ranch cowboys say, 'gee let's run a bull in to see if it will buck." Not many.

The more people there are living on that rural/urban edge, the more Wannabe cowboys there will be. A good number of those will be bull riders. My expereince is that it is a macho thing for them.

Dave

I'm involved with putting on an annual rodeo not far from here. People I work with ask if I ride bulls also. I tell them I like to think I have more sense than that. ;-) :D

Agree there are a lot of wanabee hats and boots out there. When I was at Texas Tech in late 50's, we used to call them "Goat Ropers"...most had a steer head on sawhorse by the dorms and their apartments--probably the closest thing they got to a real "cattle".

On a sidebar...

Wonder how many bronc and bull riders sing soprano??? Just watching them causes me to double over in pain...lol.

A few years ago when I wore a different size belt there was a working cowboy rodeo in northern Arizona...needed a pay stub to enter. Wonder if its still put on.
Amazing to see the western dress as compared to the rodeo outfits some of the boys wear. I always liked the little bull rigs that hung down from the rear view.
Just letting what is left of my mind wander back to a time when I would slide off my horse onto a running steer...and miss...alot! No wonder the knees, ankles, back and shoulders are shot.
DMc

If you want a good laugh go to a country music concert and take a look at the city folk that get all dressed up to act cowboy. I have been to one since George Strait played the Tacoma Dome back around 95 or so. I couldn't get over the outfits. :lol:

Worst thing i ever saw was a Toby keith concert in Charlotte NC (my folks live there) I figured that i would see a few dudes but it was unreal. Earings everywhere with hats and boots i almost puked.

kjones":3es3053f said:
If you want a good laugh go to a country music concert and take a look at the city folk that get all dressed up to act cowboy. I have been to one since George Strait played the Tacoma Dome back around 95 or so. I couldn't get over the outfits. :lol:

Reminded me of time me and wife went to see Garth Brooks in Tulsa. Some friends of ours was going to go with us so we picked them up, about busted a gut when my friend walked out in Cowboy boots, wranglers, cowboy hat, shirt and belt. I had known him since second grade and never saw him once wear anything like that. I still die laughing to this day when I think about it. He sure Cowboy'ed up for Garth. :lol:

Been wearing Wranglers all my life. I do have a big fancy truck too. Don't wear a hat but rather caps, all the time, and I'm not bald. Wear a belt when I go to weddings or funerals and such, but no big buckle, that would be a dress belt. Most of the time lace up hiking boots are worn, but I do have some dress boots. Just don't wear them much.

As far as rodeo goes, I enjoy WATCHING a good ranch rodeo. Don't much care for others.

Good music is good music. I like some Country, most all Western, and even some rock now and then. Garth has some songs that are pretty darn good IMHO. I don't like the "crying in my beer" type stuff. I don't drink alcohol unless it is a really special occasion. I am 7th generation Texan. All previous 6 generations ran cattle.

backhoeboogie":1erdg6kw said:
As far as rodeo goes, I enjoy WATCHING a good ranch rodeo. Don't much care for others.

Years ago I used to enjoy watching the slack more then the real rodeo. No pagantry, hype and hoopla, just actaul rodeo stuff. There alwasy were a lot more ropers and bulldoggers, (don;t think the call it bulldogging anymore, of course calf roping isn;t calf roping anymore either) and the rodeo "fans" used to come for the bullriding and didn;t care much for the timed events orthe saddle or bareback bronc events. Never have gotten jazzed about barrel raising, if they still call it that. Now they probably have 10 times the bull riders they used to have and I can;t get too interested in that either.

dun