Caustic Burno, can you explain how we let this happen?

Help Support CattleToday:

TennesseeTuxedo":2m3vszwo said:
The Saudis now own the Port Arthur refinery.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/05/01/investi ... ry-summary

They got a hold of it in the late 80's early 90's
when BC drove half the refineries in the country out of business and caused about 60,000 good American jobs to go away or overseas.
He got Texaco, Gulf,ARCO,Mobil,and the list goes on.
You have more foreign owners than American.

JSC works at a old Texaco plant that got bought out in the collapse

HDRider":3uxhgg3d said:
I am told you can't bring any new ones online because all the regs and red tape.
Has been true for years there has been recent expansions at some.
The diesel regs of 06 are a classic example the EPA said the refineries had to produce 15 ppm sulfur they opted out either converting it to gasoline or exporting overseas. They opted not to spend billions on ever changing regulations building new units if they could get the permits when you can sell it elsewhere. The refinery I was at went from producing 120 k barrels per day of Hwy diesel to 25k that met the new regulations.

Caustic Burno":28r1xeof said:
HDRider":28r1xeof said:
I am told you can't bring any new ones online because all the regs and red tape.
The diesel regs of 06 are a classic example the EPA said the refineries had to produce 15 ppm sulfur they opted out either converting it to gasoline or exporting overseas. They opted not to spend billions on ever changing regulations building new units if they could get the permits when you can sell it elsewhere. The refinery I was at went from producing 120 k barrels per day of Hwy diesel to 25k that met the new regulations.
I worked for Garlock, maybe you recognize that name.

That is why diesel is so much higher than gas/

HDRider":1vxg5583 said:
Caustic Burno":1vxg5583 said:
HDRider":1vxg5583 said:
I worked for Garlock, maybe you recognize that name.

That is why diesel is so much higher than gas/

Yep.
We have had the technology since before WWII to convert gas oil and diesel to gasoline. The regs drove diesel into the gasoline pool and exports versus billions in capital to build new production units.

An example below is a Fliud Catalytic Cracking Unit. You can also charge diesel to Hydrocrackers producing gasoline ISO butane along with LPG.
The ISO butane is feed to alkylation units recombining the butane into high octane gasoline.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluid_c ... c_cracking

HDRider":pi85r9cm said:

New refiners going in at Portland Texas. Exxon has a large one and there is another that some pipe fitter family members are working on.

hurleyjd":175bvzxo said:
HDRider":175bvzxo said:

New refiners going in at Portland Texas. Exxon has a large one and there is another that some pipe fitter family members are working on.
Good deal..

We make propylene oxide and MTBE . The P.o goes into memory foam mattresses and car seats. MTBE IS a fuel additive that we can't sell in the U.S.

Caustic Burno":20hx93xv said:
Marathon has a huge expansion going on as well.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.houstonc ... 805671.php

HD I am very familiar with Garlock.
Had a cousin that was in on the design of Flexitalic gaskets used to go watch the Oilers in his private box in the Dome.
I figured you was. I worked for a sister division, Quincy Compressor, and then the Corporate office of the parent company. Spent a lot of time in Rochester and other Garlock plants. A friend was the plant manager for one in Columbia SC. Garlock had a nightmare with all the asbestos class action suits.

I've heard said some folks don't say gaskets, they say Garlocks.

Latest posts