Cause of death

Help Support CattleToday:

boondocks

Reaction score
This is really interesting (study on cause of death by county, with some other interesting trends): http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/13/health/ca ... index.html

One of the findings: "It revealed that rural counties tended to have higher rates of smoking, obesity, child poverty and teen births, as well as higher numbers of uninsured adults, than their urban counterparts.
Additionally, similar to the new study, the County Health Rankings report showed that the average rate of drug overdose deaths appeared higher in rural counties."

Sad but in my area at least, all-too-true....

WOW! This turns everything upside down. I'll have to have some one smarter than me explain this because it makes no sense.

I don't think that is a surprise. Maybe I need to watch current events more.

Rural America is suffering. I think that is partly why there was a "political Boston Tea Party" in the elections. There are too few decent jobs. The less fortunate get frustrated and turn to drugs. That leads to other crime. Everyone on here preaches on all the deadbeats. I think that says a lot about rural America. Rural America is in decay.

Margonme":24wcdpw8 said:
I don't think that is a surprise. Maybe I need to watch current events more.

Rural America is suffering. I think that is partly why there was a "political Boston Tea Party" in the elections. There are too few decent jobs. The less fortunate get frustrated and turn to drugs. That leads to other crime. Everyone on here preaches on all the deadbeats. I think that says a lot about rural America. Rural America is in decay.

As bad as it might be in rural America, it sure beats NY or Chicago. Around here on Sunday's the deadbeats will go to the dumpster and get the garage bags out rip them open and pick whatever they wanted out. Every Sunday it's the thing and the Sheriff won't arrest or fine them because their dope heads. Our county road guys will spend 3 hours raking and picking up behind these POS. The church and cemetery is just across the road on the hill.

Could it be that because of the urban areas like chicago, la, etc have more gang issues so more shootings?

I guess we need to throw in the towel, declare defeat, crawl in a hole and hope for the best. :mad: :frowns: :bang: :deadhorse:

The area which I live in and the one I am planning to move to are both real rural and according to the maps there is a low death rate for everything. Looks like I am good to go for a long time.

M-5":1olktpjl said:
my county only had one orange slide the rest were light yellow of blue , It seem the most deaths are from neurological disorders . I call BS on this

You would be correct. Cardiovascular diseases accounted for 39.8% of all deaths. Cardiovascular diseases were also the leading cause of death in 2014.

I live in western South Dakota. The big thing I see is health and violence on our reservations. I new there were problems but I had know idea they were so bad! If it weren't for the reservations it wouldn't be to bad. I can only partially explain this.

Waterway65":28m5qup3 said:
I live in western South Dakota. The big thing I see is health and violence on our reservations. I new there were problems but I had know idea they were so bad! If it weren't for the reservations it wouldn't be to bad. I can only partially explain this.
I went to Sturgis a few times and road all around North & South Dakota. Being part Indian I was curious about how they lived and visited some reservations. WOW. A real eye opener. Looked like a war zone or something. Boards, bricks, blocks and debris on their streets, broken windows on their cinder block shacks. Bad news. The image that really stayed with me was all the white crosses marking drunk driver deaths. You could not go a mile in some areas without seeing more than one cross.

While I know many very successful people of Indian decent, there are to many mixed up in alcohol and drugs. Indian on Indian violence is ridiculously high. Family values are not as high as other segments of are population. My daughter is a principal on one reservation. The school provides two meals a day school days. She fears a few students only get to eat at school. Often incomes are going to alcohol and drugs.
And the federal government isn't without blame. They pattern Indian health after the veteran s administration if you know what I mean. Also the reservations and families tend to keep individuals on the reservations and away from better job opportunities.

Interesting. My county is yellow for everything but light blue for transportation and light orange for neurological disorder. So I guess anything has an equal chance of getting you here. LOL

Waterway65":1nd4icrk said:
While I know many very successful people of Indian decent, there are to many mixed up in alcohol and drugs. Indian on Indian violence is ridiculously high. Family values are not as high as other segments of are population. My daughter is a principal on one reservation. The school provides two meals a day school days. She fears a few students only get to eat at school. Often incomes are going to alcohol and drugs.
And the federal government isn't without blame. They pattern Indian health after the veteran s administration if you know what I mean. Also the reservations and families tend to keep individuals on the reservations and away from better job opportunities.
Yup, it's similar here.. some of the Indians here are the hardest working people you'll find anywhere, then you have the polar opposites.
On one reservation about 25 miles from me they got brand new houses built for them about 15 years ago.. OK, they weren't quality houses no doubt, but they are complete wrecks now.. most of the windows are broken, the yard is full of garbage (not junk, garbage), etc... It's truly pitiful, but my sympathy has worn thin.. at some point you can't feel sorry anymore for people who WON'T help themselves..

IMHO Reservations should be split up as equitably as possible and the families given the deeds. Close down the Bureau of Indian Affairs and wean the residents off welfare. It will be tough, but best for all in the long run.

City Guy":2l11diz9 said:
IMHO Reservations should be split up as equitably as possible and the families given the deeds. Close down the Bureau of Indian Affairs and wean the residents off welfare. It will be tough, but best for all in the long run.
A lot of Indian land has been subdivided over the years.

HDRider":qjpmr08o said:
City Guy":qjpmr08o said:

I didn't know that. Where and how's it working out?

City Guy":3m1e497h said:
HDRider":3m1e497h said:
City Guy":3m1e497h said:

I didn't know that. Where and how's it working out?
You tell me...

NA_nations.jpg

Sorry, I didn't explain my idea clearly. I would deed individual tracts of land to individual people, not to tribes or extended families. If Joe Jones is entitled to live on a reservation because of his heritage he would be given a title to a piece of the reservation real estate and only his name would be on the deed. He would have the rights and privileges and obligations that any property owner enjoys and endures. He can live on it and pay his taxes, take a mortgage against it, start a lawful business, farm or ranch it or sell it. I think, we the people, might owe him, on behalf of his ancestors, the cost of 18 months retraining, rehabilitation and education. After that, no more government aid beyond that to which others may be entitled.

Some will surely fail but the majority will make good use of the opportunity.

City guy I don't think you are familiar with the complex politics of reservations. What you are saying sounds great but to many idealistic factions are involved. It would be much easier to solve our wild horse problem if you get my drift. There are many really good operators that lease that land now that would be put out of business.
The reservations were established in this region so that the army could keep the Indians away from trade routes. It is not true they were given the poorest land. There has never been a serious effort to create businesses so that there is adequate decent jobs ether. There is a higher than average percent that would be little more than street people under your plan within a year. Misplaced government aid is a big factor for this as well as drugs and alcohol.

Latest posts