caught wild bull, now what?

Help Support CattleToday:

personally id say the vet was a lamebrain.an sell her was all he knew to say.just because she has it once doesnt mean she will again.but you know to watch her.an treat her if she has it again.

WAguy":2jx5uk7p said:
I wasn't thinking the salebarns are evil places, but was wondering if their are generally accepted rules of behavior. If there aren't, and everyone knows its buyer beware, then fine, may the best man win.

Do anyone remember my neighbor with the bull problems? He's done gone and bought another high dollar angus bull and that bull didn't come from a sale barn. All the rest of the neighbors are ticked because this one is no different. He's done been in the pasture with some F-1 brindles belonging to another neighbor. There could be a killing over this. No one in that part of the county does the hobby thing and no one wants angus. We are all probably going to get a little. I sure wish he'd go to the sale barn intstead. Here we go again. I am sure the sherrif is sick of this.

I agree with bigbull.... and I personally have nothing against a cow that comes down with milk fever. Some of the time they're more predisposed to it because they are just a high producing cow. However, a large fraction of cows that go down with milk fever were succeptible because of what they were being fed. Nutrition plays a pretty large part in keeping "at risk" cows on their feet. I wouldn't ever ship a decent cow just because she goes down with milk fever when she calves.

I know that milk fever can be prevented and treated. That's not the issue.

I'm just raising the point that it seems to be commonly recommended to take problems to the salebarn.

Heck, crazy cattle can be treated, too, with enough love and therapy.

I'm probably not supposed to bring these things up, so I'll be done.

The sale barn is what it is. We, ranchers, have to have a place to go with problem cattle. IF you buy from there you know the risks... and pay accordingly.

As already stated there are alot of good cattlemen that sell cattle at a good price with out all the flash of registered stock.

Wild Cattle":2xore23t said:
Good point Brute, I wonder how many people get to work cattle for other people. Its hard to learn anything working your own or family cattle 2 times a year.

When I was in the fulltime day-work business I was working outside cattle about 3 days a week plus 1 day at the sale barn penning back and loading 1,500 hd. Thats handeling around 100,000 hd/year. It gives you a little different perspective than someone who workes their own 100 hd 2 times a year.
ive worked at the local barn years ago, hauling cattle and helping the vet.. your right great place to hang around and learn. what little time you work is wide open. and you can't be caught day dreamin' would'nt take a million for the experiance,, but wouldnt give a nickle to do it again :lol:

Definately buyer beware at any auction barn I've ever been to. If you hang around or attend regularly, you'll get to know the people that have decent stuff to trade. But everything that has been sick, or tried to kill someone, or has a chronic disease will likely end up there. I've never been to one where the ring person says anything about their health or attitude!

Latest posts