Caught on Trail Camera in KY

Help Support CattleToday:

When a cougar is seen around here it is often moving threw and may hang out for a while. There has been a few more sightings in the last few years. CB your TPWD man wouldn't tell you if he had seen a dozen. I know how they operate cause I work around the ones in Arkansas a lot. Getting information out of them is like pulling teeth unless it is some thing they want you to know.

Red Bull Breeder":34qd8fx0 said:
When a cougar is seen around here it is often moving threw and may hang out for a while. There has been a few more sightings in the last few years. CB your TPWD man wouldn't tell you if he had seen a dozen. I know how they operate cause I work around the ones in Arkansas a lot. Getting information out of them is like pulling teeth unless it is some thing they want you to know.

Mine would and have had long talks about the biodiversity of the area.
We discussed deer predication in depth last month when he was at the house.
My State Rep, Biologist and I have been in discussions and meetings for the last couple of months
about game management. Even ask if I would consider a Commissioner job on the board if he appointed me
I declined.
He would not tell me the county or location in the counties he covers as he can't.
I have seen pictures of the tracks of a verified sighting.
Verified sighting or evidence is extremely rare.
Are there cats that come through from time to time of coarse there are the Thicket is to big not
to support a small population.
These cats in this area have a huge feeding territory.
The hilarious part is 99 out of a 100 hillbillies in these woods have seen one and most are black panthers.
There has never been a verified kill or capture of a black variation of a mountain lion.
The pine plantations actually make it more difficult for the cats preferred hunting method.

"Although the mountain lion may have more names and nicknames than any other animal, the following are not names for lions and represent completely different species: bobcat, lynx, ocelot, jaguar, leopard, cheetah, Asiatic lion, African lion, and tiger. Many people have heard the term "black panther," but these are actually melanistic jaguars or leopards: a genetic trait that makes an individual cat's fur appear much darker than the usual coloration. To date there has never been a confirmed case of a melanistic (black) mountain lion.
HOW MANY MOUNTAIN LIONS ARE THERE?
The solitary and elusive nature of mountain lions makes them difficult to research and practically impossible to count. Population estimation models are based on numerous long-term studies of lion populations, their prey, and habitat mapping. Based on the best available data at this time, the Mountain Lion Foundation believes the mountain lion population in the United States is unlikely to exceed 30,000. And, many of those lions depend upon severely fragmented and degraded habitat, are in severe danger of over-hunting and road kill, are imperiled by intolerance of their presence on the landscape, and are so few and unconnected they are on the edge of genetic viability. People are responsible for the death of more than 3,000 mountain lions in the U.S. each and every year. "

http://mountainlion.org/publications/Te ... rkshop.pdf

You are right about the black ones. Game laws out west have increased the lion population so more of the young males are being pushed out of the area's they were born in. There was three of four killed last year in MO. Mo. dnr said the dna sample showed they were from Nebraska.

Interesting thread all!
A fella from near me in Dayton Ohio, Tim Harrison, made a very cool documentary about all the exotics (cats, reptiles etc) that he encounters. . .there was a large cat (panther)of some type he'd been trying to trap for awhile near Dayton, possibly a released exotic cat.
He mentions in the documentary just how many exotics are loose in Ohio -- in one call he responded to, a couple of kids were playing with a large snake in someone's garage, when he got there, it was a gaboon viper -- said it was a miracle is didn't bite one of the kids.
Here's a link to documentary page:
http://theelephantinthelivingroom.com/#

A little south of me, in Tennessee they recently got some trail cam pictures/video of a mountain lion. They don't think this one is an escaped exotic. They think he wandered away from where he belongs. Maybe he'll wander back.

M5farm, the panthers are not in Osceola County either according to FWC. Tell that to all the people around here that have seen and heard them. According to FWC bears are not here either. Game cameras lie so much don't they.

re: Could the exotic critters your friend has been hunting came from the personal zoo that that lunatic set free a few years ago?

I don't believe so, all of those animals were accounted for, nearly all killed. I think one cat of some kind wound up in Columbus zoo.

Latest posts