Cattletoday Poetry

Help Support CattleToday:

Well said! :clap: Bravo--Bravo!!
Kinda says it all for alot of us that don't have your wonderful, blessed talent.

On a lighter side from the 80's

Oh to be a grape again
What a glorious me
Gathered with all my brothers
Struggling to free

But nothing last forever
And in the end we'll see
That being just a raisin
Is as good as it might be

I hear you, CRR.

FCC just turned down my request for a loan for feed, although I did spend every last cent I had on making my cattle loans. Feeling pretty bitter towards FCC right now, as the only way I can figure on making a go out of it is to sell half my herd in order to purchase hay for the rest. Makes the last few years building up a herd seem like a colossal waste of time and money, not to mention blood, sweat and tears.

And yet if you look at their dam annual report the first page has this lovely picture of a young farm couple. There's grain bins and a bunch of round bales setting in the background as they walk up to their brand spanking new gleaming white pickup with big smiles on their faces.

Which has led me to believe that the bins and bales must be a front. They're smiling because they've got FCC to front their "grow-op" and just finished testing the latest crop of home grown. No other logical explanation of this picture, unless they inheritted the operation, won the lotto, and are using the farm as a tax right off.... ;-)

If only prices weren't 40 cents below were they should have been this fall!
Oh well, haven't broken it to the kids yet that they'll be having an "old fashioned" Christmas this year. But on the upside, at least we have our health, eh? (Step away from the eggnog!)

Take care and please keep the muse flowing. Gotta love it.

Couldn't resist posting the hokey FCC promo photo.

Now tell me straight up - do those two look like Canadian ranchers or is that woman on the phone to the Hell's Angels talking about 'product quality' while hubby is celebrating burying that pesky snitch, GreasyPete?

scan0001.jpg

Take care.

Which has led me to believe that the bins and bales must be a front. They're smiling because they've got FCC to front their "grow-op" and just finished testing the latest crop of home grown. No other logical explanation of this picture, unless they inheritted the operation, won the lotto, and are using the farm as a tax right off....

If only prices weren't 40 cents below were they should have been this fall!
Oh well, haven't broken it to the kids yet that they'll be having an "old fashioned" Christmas this year. But on the upside, at least we have our health, eh? (Step away from the eggnog!)

It's important to keep a sense of humour. My wife says I've been like a ghost for the past few months. It's only money. I told my kids that we couldn't afford much for presents this year and my little girl said 'That's okay Dad, Santa will bring us something good'. Just about broke my heart. I agree with you that couple looks like they are members of one of those mafia farm families that Alberta is so famous for. Keep smiling.

That means underwear and socks, right?

That means that its the thought that counts. The fact that my mother will never use a set of walkie talkies from Radio Shack is way less relevant then the fact that I won them as a door prize at the company Christmas party and so they were free. Breaker 1-9 Mother Bear, over and out.

The Poor Farmer's Christmas

Christmas was coming,
And Papa was depressed,
His mind was churnin' so,
That he couldn't get no rest.

And in the early morning,
As he was lying in his bed,
He had resigned himself,
To the truth that must be said.

And Mama said to Papa,
The kids are young in years,
And what you've got to say,
Will be hard for tender ears.

And Papa looked at Mama,
And took a little pause.
And he said " We've got to tell the kids,
There is no Santa Clause."

'For you see our kids,
Have believed and understood,
That there'd be toys and presents,
As long as they were good.'

'And Mama, you know,
That the kids have not been bad,
So I guess we'll have to tell them,
Even though it makes them sad.'

Now, Papa wasn't mean.
He was just down on his luck.
It had cost a lot of money,
To fix the tractor and the truck.

The early spring and summer,
Had brought nothing but a drought.
And late August brought a hailstorm,
That wiped the harvest out.

So Papa had the choice,
Of selling cows or buying feed.
So he went and bought some hay,
But it was a bill he didn't need.

Now, Christmas was coming,
That time of Yuletide and good cheer.
And he had to tell the children,
There'd be no presents for this year.

Now Papa knew,
That the timing must be right.
So he figured out what to say,
And he settled on a night.

But in the mail that day,
Came a letter that was wrote.
And in the envelope,
There was a fifty dollar note.

And the letter said,
"Papa, I know that times are tough,
But we've got to stick together,
When the going's getting rough."

And it seemed to Papa,
That that letter from afar,
Reminded him of God's promise,
Made on the Christmas star.

And of Three wise men
So long ago,
Giving gifts to a child,
That they didn't know.

And so fifty dollars,
From that friend so far away,
Bought presents for the children,
On that Christmas day.

Now everything,
Is alright, because,
Papa, Mama and the kids,
Believe in Santa Clause.

Copyright 2004

Cattle Rack Rancher":3us8e6rv said:
The Poor Farmer's Christmas

Christmas was coming,
And Papa was depressed,
His mind was churnin' so,
That he couldn't get no rest.

And in the early morning,
As he was lying in his bed,
He had resigned himself,
To the truth that must be said.

And Mama said to Papa,
The kids are young in years,
And what you've got to say,
Will be hard for tender ears.

And Papa looked at Mama,
And took a little pause.
And he said " We've got to tell the kids,
There is no Santa Clause."

'For you see our kids,
Have believed and understood,
That there'd be toys and presents,
As long as they were good.'

'And Mama, you know,
That the kids have not been bad,
So I guess we'll have to tell them,
Even though it makes them sad.'

Now, Papa wasn't mean.
He was just down on his luck.
It had cost a lot of money,
To fix the tractor and the truck.

The early spring and summer,
Had brought nothing but a drought.
And late August brought a hailstorm,
That wiped the harvest out.

So Papa had the choice,
Of selling cows or buying feed.
So he went and bought some hay,
But it was a bill he didn't need.

Now, Christmas was coming,
That time of Yuletide and good cheer.
And he had to tell the children,
There'd be no presents for this year.

Now Papa knew,
That the timing must be right.
So he figured out what to say,
And he settled on a night.

But in the mail that day,
Came a letter that was wrote.
And in the envelope,
There was a fifty dollar note.

And the letter said,
"Papa, I know that times are tough,
But we've got to stick together,
When the going's getting rough."

And it seemed to Papa,
That that letter from afar,
Reminded him of God's promise,
Made on the Christmas star.

And of Three wise men
So long ago,
Giving gifts to a child,
That they didn't know.

And so fifty dollars,
From that friend so far away,
Bought presents for the children,
On that Christmas day.

Now everything,
Is alright, because,
Papa, Mama and the kids,
Believe in Santa Clause.

Copyright 2004

Been there-- done that.. Years and years ago I fit the kids part- later as years went by I fit into the Papa, Mama part-- lately, thru the Grace of God, I've got to play the Santa scenerio- always love it when I hear some young one talking about this present he got from he knows not where... Kind of what makes life worth living...............

Your poems just keep getting better!!

Thanks for the compliment. I really don't think they are all that good but several people have told me I should be throwing that little copyright thing on there so I guess they must think I have a little bit of talent. Thanks, again.

A Christmas Card From An Angel

Not to belabour the obvious, but it's been kind of tough making a go of it up here since last May's disastrous single BSE finding. Long story short is that I've got a liner ordered for Sunday to take thirty of my breds to Alberta to sell...what with the lack of income this fall, I'm being forced to downsize my herd in order to purchase hay and pay for the Class 1 driver's course. So I've been kind of down in the dumps for the last week as I've been looking over my 'girls' and deciding which ones will be getting on the 'bus'.

Yesterday I went to town to do the bills, groceries, etc. and when I picked up the mail there was a letter for me from a rancher in the States (who has requested to stay nameless). I was excited, thinking it was a Christmas card (gotta love those), but when I opened it I discovered that there was a gift inside to use for Christmas presents for the kids or feed for the 'girls'. It's taken me the better part of yesterday and today to be able to think about that gift without tears coming to my eyes.

You see, tough as it's been keeping the ranch going, I've always felt that I was blessed. My family is healthy, we have food, shelter, and love in our lives (which many souls on this Earth are without). The kidlings will have presents under the tree...maybe not as many as in years gone by, but I've kept a slush fund for them. My mom and little brother are keeping a word in with the 'Big Guy' for us - that's the advantage of them being in Heaven - they've got the inside track.

So I was really touched that a rancher from another country, who's never even shaken my hand, would have so much compassion as to send a gift to my family here in Canada. Not that I'm looking for a handout - I've always loved to work - but the gesture was so sincerely from the heart that I wanted to share this story with you. Thinking about how fortunate I am made me decide to donate the gift from that generous man to a local ranching family who discovered last month that one of their children has lukemia and is currently being treated in another province, far from their home.

Wish I had CRR's way with words. I'd love to put this into a poem, but he's already expressed my sentiments so well that I'd like to send a thank you to him. Most of all I'd like to say thank you to my angel from the States. God bless you all and keep you safe. :heart:

Take care.

CattleAnnie":2s9mkrln said:
Thinking about how fortunate I am made me decide to donate the gift from that generous man to a local ranching family who discovered last month that one of their children has lukemia and is currently being treated in another province, far from their home.

you did just fine with your words, CA. sounds like you have a heart as big as the rancher in the States. how very, very kind of you.

Merry Christmas to you and your family.

CattleAnnie":sekfz7nw said:
A Christmas Card From An Angel

Not to belabour the obvious, but it's been kind of tough making a go of it up here since last May's disastrous single BSE finding. Long story short is that I've got a liner ordered for Sunday to take thirty of my breds to Alberta to sell...what with the lack of income this fall, I'm being forced to downsize my herd in order to purchase hay and pay for the Class 1 driver's course. So I've been kind of down in the dumps for the last week as I've been looking over my 'girls' and deciding which ones will be getting on the 'bus'.

Take care.
Annie I don't want to give any false hope. I am certainly not in a position to partner you but would you be willing to run them on the halves if someone contacted you before Sat. say noon. How much will they bring and when the border opens what would the return be. Just a thought . You never know who is reading.I am thinking if they bought your cows and gave them back to you to run on the halves , you would have your money to feed and still get half their calf next year . If the border opened maybe you could work a deal where you could buy them back. Anyway ... Merry Christmas Annie!!!

CattleAnnie":27hdpftu said:
Wish I had CRR's way with words.
Annie, you don't need anybody else's way with words. That was awesome! And what you did really shines, Annie!

Merry Christmas to you and Honey and the kids!

Latest posts