cattlemen's associations

Help Support CattleToday:

bman4523

Reaction score
In doing some research I happened to compare the "Texas SW Cattle Raisers Association" and the "Oregon Cattlemen's Association"
the mission statements for each organization jumped right out at me when I read the two back to back. Just wondering if anyone else found this curious.
TSWCRA mission statement-
"Mission
Texas and Southwestern Cattle Raisers Association – protecting the stewards of land and livestock in the Southwest."

OCA mission statement-
"As the voice of the cattle industry in Oregon, our mission is to:

Promote environmentally and socially sound industry practices
Promote a positive, contemporary image of the industry
Improve and strengthen the economics of the industry
Assure a strong political presence in all areas affecting the industry
Protect our industry communities and private property rights"

It doesn't suprise me in the least. Texas is RED, and Oregon is a blue state. Alot more wierdo's out west.

The Texas Cattle Raisers Assn. is not per say a group of people who raise cattle in the manner you are thinking about like a Cattlemans Assn. In fact they have a group of Special Rangers in Law Enforcement in the state of Texas that deal with all types of livestock, hay, farm equipment, etc. theft. I know this because I just had first hand dealings with them and they helped me collect money from a man that bought a show heifer in a sale I was consulting on and he had never paid. I am not saying that some of the members of the TSCRA do not raise cattle because they do. I do know in Alabama because of cuts in government agencies we do not have anyone except local and state law enforcement to handle agriculture crimes. I sure wish we had an organization like the TSCRA in Alabama. I was so grateful that they helped me I am going to join and support their organization. www.tscra.org

Circle H Ranch

BMan -- Oregon is a huge "green" state -- probably the biggest one in the country. The cattle raisers there just have to deal with it. If you decide to raise cattle there, you will, also -- even as a small producer, I suspect.

Washington is probably only second in the "green" to Oregon.

In WA and OR, there are alot of things that make them love-it or leave-it environments for ag.

There is also huge difference between Eastern Oregon cattle country and Portland. The climate, divercity of outdoors activities, the mountains, the ocean, and general "greeness" of the area are a magnet for the Sierra club types. And those people who have come from all over the country to invade us in the northwest are now in the majority. As a result the people in Portland (or Seattle if you are in Washington) have a huge affect on how you conduct business.

Cattleman200":1ixpdb4q said:
The Texas Cattle Raisers Assn. is not per say a group of people who raise cattle in the manner you are thinking about like a Cattlemans Assn. In fact they have a group of Special Rangers in Law Enforcement in the state of Texas that deal with all types of livestock, hay, farm equipment, etc. theft. I know this because I just had first hand dealings with them and they helped me collect money from a man that bought a show heifer in a sale I was consulting on and he had never paid. I am not saying that some of the members of the TSCRA do not raise cattle because they do. I do know in Alabama because of cuts in government agencies we do not have anyone except local and state law enforcement to handle agriculture crimes. I sure wish we had an organization like the TSCRA in Alabama. I was so grateful that they helped me I am going to join and support their organization. http://www.tscra.org

Circle H Ranch

Our dues along with advertisement in the Cattleman's magazine pay for brand inspector's at the local salebarn's along with the special Ranger's in Texas and Oklahoma. Almost forgot they lobby for the ag producers at the state legislature Rates are based on the number of head you run.
http://www.tscra.org/about-tscra/index.html