Cattlemen

Help Support CattleToday:

Can you make a living off of the cattle Business without another business to support it?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

showme

Reaction score
Me and my sister were debating on this topic she think's that there has to be another business on the side to support the cattle. I think that you can make a living off of them. Make a reply.........

My personal opinion is you should listen to your sister. In this day and age, no it's not possible to make a living off of solely cattle under the average circumstances. If it were, people wouldn't be going belly up in the numbers they are. Maybe show cattle are the exception, I don't know as I've never been in that market.

SCfarms":2vvg8l71 said:
Me and my sister were debating on this topic she think's that there has to be another business on the side to support the cattle. I think that you can make a living off of them. Make a reply.........

Well I do think it is possible.It is a wise move to have more than one iron in the fire.

It also depends on you....such as realistic expectations as to what income is generated and its ability to pay the bills incured.

In a nutshell yes. But it's about the hardest way I could think of to put beans in the pot. It's easier for me to make my money elsewhere.

You can if your cattle and land are paid for and you have operating money. :cboy:

as i answered yes you can.but its hard back breaking work.no time off no vacations.no frilly spending on trucks or equipment.only buying what you have to have to operate.ive farmed an daried all my life.never had or want an outside job.scott

I took that question to be if I, personally, could make a living of my cattle and answered no. Our cattle operation is small and profitable, but there's no way we could maintain our "standard of living" :lol: with just the money we make from the cows. There are people making a living from their cattle and land.

Frankie":2fp8shmh said:
I took that question to be if I, personally, could make a living of my cattle and answered no. Our cattle operation is small and profitable, but there's no way we could maintain our "standard of living" :lol: with just the money we make from the cows. There are people making a living from their cattle and land.

Ditto

you can!
but dont expect to be buying from CAMP COOLEY!!!!
if you are willing to drive a 10-15 yr old truck!
if your fences do not need repair!
if all your equiptment does not break down!
if you own your land!!
if you humble yourself to ask for help!!!
if you realize your faults(which i question) too hot headed
if if if!!!!
sounds like your sister has a good head on her sholders!! learn from her :D

Frankie":33brx82k said:

Same here. The question was can you make a living off cattle without another business to support. There's no doubt that it can be done. People are doing it. Further, I see no way to do it starting from scratch, buying the land, etc.

Latest posts