Cattle worming question

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley":tvm6r7rw said:
Actually, yes you can use both. Some drenches hit several different things that a pour-on does not. I will add that you may not want to hit them with too much else.

I just used both this week on my friend's herd.

You are correct.

Bright Raven":3nntg4cx said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":3nntg4cx said:
Actually, yes you can use both. Some drenches hit several different things that a pour-on does not. I will add that you may not want to hit them with too much else.

You are correct.
Thanks. Actually, I was expecting to get chastised for telling them that. :banana:

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3im4399m said:
Bright Raven":3im4399m said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":3im4399m said:

You are correct.
Thanks. Actually, I was expecting to get chastised for telling them that. :banana:

The oral drenches do not cover ectoparasites like mites, ticks, lice, etc. They are focused on intestinal round worms and lung worms. I wanted to be sure I got the endoparasites so I used synanthic (oxfendaxole). He had a pour on left over so I told him to pour while I drenched. Not a big deal. Totally different
routes of delivery and different pharmaceuticals.

I just used a pour on for the whole herd, as much for flies, lice and mites as worms. Calves also got an injectable since I feel it's more effective for internal parasites. Especially since we had a threat of rain that could have affected the pour on. Cows should be more resistant already than the calves.

While I'm not a fan of the pour-ons - they're really an abysmally poor way to deworm an animal; efficacy is pretty poor (I don't know how they managed to get approval to market them, they're so poor) - but utilizing dewormers from both the benzimidazole and macrocyclic lactone classes, at the same time, has been shown to be very effective at reducing fecal egg counts and improving weight gain in stocker and yearling animals - at half the cost associated with the new LongRange product.
Deworming with a benzimidazole like Panacur/Safeguard or Synanthic, along with Ivomec or Cydectin, at the same time, is a good strategy... I do it routinely now for youngstock - but I use an injectible in the ivermectin/moxidectin product.

We always do pour on in the spring because it is a really good fly repellant. Then in the fall we either do drench or injection, we alternate those. If the flies are bad, we'll do pour on again in the summer.

While I'm an ardent proponent that any $ spent on hornfly control will return far greater returns than the same $ spent on internal parasite control for cattle... the use of a pour-on anthelminthic for 'fly control' is, IMO, a really poor use of a resource that needs to be conserved. Talk about accelerating selection for resistant populations of nematode parasites...

Lucky_P":3s4nnroy said:
While I'm an ardent proponent that any $ spent on hornfly control will return far greater returns than the same $ spent on internal parasite control for cattle... the use of a pour-on anthelminthic for 'fly control' is, IMO, a really poor use of a resource that needs to be conserved. Talk about accelerating selection for resistant populations of nematode parasites...

Same thought went through my head.

Lucky_P":3c28dfth said:
We don't use it for fly control unless late in the summer the flies are bad and usually its on the bulls when we put them back in their pasture on their off season. We use it in the spring to worm because that's when flies are bad, thus, you kill 2 birds with one stone. It wouldn't make sense to use it in the fall because there are no flies, but if you worm twice a year, why not use it when flies are bad?

cowgirl8":3go1r0wd said:
Lucky_P":3go1r0wd said:
We don't use it for fly control unless late in the summer the flies are bad and usually its on the bulls when we put them back in their pasture on their off season. We use it in the spring to worm because that's when flies are bad, thus, you kill 2 birds with one stone. It wouldn't make sense to use it in the fall because there are no flies, but if you worm twice a year, why not use it when flies are bad?

We do the same here cowgirl! :cboy:

Latest posts