Cattle working system

Help Support CattleToday:

dompeters84

Reaction score
We are looking at getting a new cattle working system. Talking new everything, sweep tub, alley, hydraulic chute, and whatever else we need. I've been looking at WW a lot. I am looking for some feedback on brand. We want heavy duty. Also any suggestions on design.

We will be building a barn around the system so it will be inside. We are also looking to bolt everything down and put concrete in at least part of the barn. As far as amount of animals, we will be running sometimes 200+ cows through in a day. Most of them are full grown angus cows. Calves will also be running through when needed. We are kind of new to this so all help is welcome.

Everyone that I know who has a hydraulic chute has a Silencer. I think they are hard to beat. I would definitely look into putting a set of scales in, possibly under the chute. Tru-Test has some tough enough to put under that type of chute. Good luck, sounds like fun!!!

Get a Silencer. I've got one of the older ones and a new one, you won't be disappointed. A scale under the chute can be handy. Given you are running several hundred cows, you should also put in a scale for weighing large drafts of cattle when shipping etc. TruTest, RiceLake and several other companies make very nice scales that can weigh up to 10-25k pounds at a time depending on the model you choose. On one of our ranches we have a complete WW system. It's pretty good, not the best setup I have, but certainly better than a lot of systems I've seen cattle worked in. Building good pens that flow right around the system is just as important if not more so. Be sure to give that part plenty of consideration as well.

I have one W&W that is 23 year old and is portable and another that is 5 year old with tub and alleys attached. No problems with either except I done like having to change the head shute to fit either cows or calves. Usually just work all the cows and then reset it and work the calves. Mine will not hold a baby calf's head, it just pulls out. But if I was buying another it would probably be a W&W.

Latest posts