Cattle working system

Help Support CattleToday:

Thats why I was asking about cost difference. I dont even know what a production system cost.

Railroad ties and 2x6s or guardrail will last a long time.

Hoss,

Thanks for the information about Green River. I have a hay field on 96 between M'boro and Franklin but can't seem to place where the Green river setup is at. Is it before or after the 4 way in Triune if I'm headed from M'boro to Franklin? I think I'm going with the Priefert squeeze as that's what all my local cattlemen are using. I'm definitely gonna check into the Green River though.

blacklabel":2vhyz3tj said:
Thats why I was asking about cost difference. I dont even know what a production system cost.

Railroad ties and 2x6s or guardrail will last a long time.

Up here, for the total system, brand new, squeeze, alley and tub you are looking at a minimum of $10,000 and probably more like $12-15,000. You might find a good used system for around $8000.

tnwalkingred":1tzhwppb said:
Hoss,

Thanks for the information about Green River. I have a hay field on 96 between M'boro and Franklin but can't seem to place where the Green river setup is at. Is it before or after the 4 way in Triune if I'm headed from M'boro to Franklin? I think I'm going with the Priefert squeeze as that's what all my local cattlemen are using. I'm definitely gonna check into the Green River though.

I want to say it is before Triune. It didn't seem like it was too far out of Murfreesboro. North side of the hwy. The guys house is brick and sets quite a ways off the road behind the display model. It has been 3 or 4 years since I went by there. Maybe he isn't selling them anymore. This guy in Shelbyville is selling the same exact brand / model I have. I drove by there today and saw his display model and sign so I wrote down his website.

http://fandplivestock.com/

I don't think he is too far from you.

tnwalkingred":20gjcz70 said:
All,

I'm thinking about buying a new cattle working system that includes squeeze chute, auto headgate, working pen, sweep tub, and alley way. What brands would you guys buy and why? I'm familiar with all the popular ones such as Powder River, Priefert, and WW. I will be running anywhere from 30-50 head a year through them. I'm leaning towards Priefert right now simply because the cost. They seem alot better than Powder River but I don't want to buy junk either. Thanks for the comments.

You have named three good brands - all will do the trick depending upon how hard you want to use them.

In fact with only 50 head I figure you are living rich to buy all that gear.

I could never justify a purchase that big for that small a number of animals unless I had won the lottery.

I would make most of it out of wood or pipe and just buy the squeeze. I have run hundreds of head and maybe even thousands through our system - elm wood - some of it is still in use more than 10 years after construction.

I am still a Hi-Hog fan. Never hear anyone in the US of A mention them - but I think they are made in the Calgary region. Been using ours for more than 10 years with no prob.

Whatever you do, I wish you all the best.

Bez

All,

I've decided to get a Priefert system. I've decided on a Rancher squeeze chute with a palp cage, carriage(in case I need to move it to a different farm), and an automatic head gate. I'm going to get the Premier working system with sweep tub, alley, and gates. All together brand new is going to cost around 5000-5500 dollars. I think it's a good deal. What do y'all think?

blacklabel":1biep0li said:
Buy alot of lumber for that.

Could build a simple pipe one for that also.

You can buy a lot of tube steel and sucker rod too. To heck with lumber. Go first class.

I have one problem with the portable system I built - keeping it. Everyone who sees it tries to buy it.

My stuff does not have powder coated paint. I build everything.

tnwalkingred":1grmmo0i said:
All,

I've decided to get a Priefert system. I've decided on a Rancher squeeze chute with a palp cage, carriage(in case I need to move it to a different farm), and an automatic head gate. I'm going to get the Premier working system with sweep tub, alley, and gates. All together brand new is going to cost around 5000-5500 dollars. I think it's a good deal. What do y'all think?

Sounds like a very good price to me.

TennesseeTux,

Where in Brentwood are you located? I work in Nolensville almost everyday. I'd be curious to come see your operation sometime if you don't mind. You can PM me if you'd like.

I work in Maryland Farms in an office building at the corner of Maryland Way and Ward Circle. Been here for 11 years.

Our farm is 4 hours to the north in the metropolis of Warsaw, KY population 1,500 give or take. We're 5 miles off the Interstate near the Kentucky Motor Speedway. I only get up there every 4th or 5th weekend unfortunately.

2 weeks ago we rented a portable tub/alley/chute system built by Titan and I was very impressed with how it functioned.

Hope to meet you one day.

Tux,

I know exactly where you're at. My sister and girlfriend both work close to you. I work in different areas that stretch from Huntsville to Downtown Nashville but live in Eagleville. I have a few farms leased from Farmington to Nolensville.

Where did you lease the Titan from? I'll have to check into that system before I purchase one. I really aprreciate all the insight you give on here. It would be nice for all the members from around middle TN to get together sometime for a steak and a beer!

Many folks here rent a Stur-D tub from a local place. IIRC, it costs $150/day. If rental is available, it looks like a rancher with 50 head could go in with a neighbor and get two jobs done at one price.

tnwalkingred":3pvs7qpu said:
Tux,

I know exactly where you're at. My sister and girlfriend both work close to you. I work in different areas that stretch from Huntsville to Downtown Nashville but live in Eagleville. I have a few farms leased from Farmington to Nolensville.

Where did you lease the Titan from? I'll have to check into that system before I purchase one. I really aprreciate all the insight you give on here. It would be nice for all the members from around middle TN to get together sometime for a steak and a beer!

I'm all in favor of a get together. In fact, I thought there was one scheduled pretty soon?

The Southern States store in Owenton, KY leases one for $50 per day and it took us 2 days to work the entire herd. We had to set up in two different locations or we could have finished faster. Our vet recommended we rent it and he's such a good guy that he picked it up and brought it with him and even took it back when we were finished. He said it was the easiest time he'd ever had working cattle at our place and after the ordeal we had last year I'd have to agree.

I'm the guilty party on not getting something scheduled for a Tennessee get together. We are installing a new ERP system at my day job and I have been on 7 days a week until this past weekend. I hope to put something together soon.

TennesseeTuxedo":34pmx8a7 said:
tnwalkingred":34pmx8a7 said:
Tux,

I'm all in favor of a get together. In fact, I thought there was one scheduled pretty soon?

The Southern States store in Owenton, KY leases one for $50 per day and it took us 2 days to work the entire herd. We had to set up in two different locations or we could have finished faster. Our vet recommended we rent it and he's such a good guy that he picked it up and brought it with him and even took it back when we were finished. He said it was the easiest time he'd ever had working cattle at our place and after the ordeal we had last year I'd have to agree.

FYI" There's a system in front of the Marshall County coop you may want to take a look at.
It's W&W. I have a similar setup.

HOSS":fk0evgms said:
I'm the guilty party on not getting something scheduled for a Tennessee get together. We are installing a new ERP system at my day job and I have been on 7 days a week until this past weekend. I hope to put something together soon.

What a slacker. :lol2:

What's an ERP system? Job tracking?

HOSS":1g9q2v05 said:

I'll be in Murfreesboro this Saturday so get it planned quickly. :D

shaz":i96ybl5h said:
HOSS":i96ybl5h said:

What a slacker. :lol2:

What's an ERP system? Job tracking?

Too much to type so I just attached a link :lol:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enterprise ... e_planning

If you guys plan a get together for the TN crowd let me know. Looks like this weekend is gonna be a bust with all the rain. How's everyone's hay fields looking? Mine are growing great!

Latest posts