Cattle with loose stool

Help Support CattleToday:

rockcreekfarm

Reaction score
We have about 60 head of cattle in southern Virginia its my grandmas farm and I just started taking it over about 2 years ago. I have noticed that all the cows ( including the calves and the bulls) have had a loose stool its kind of like diarrhea but they all act fine, eat fine and they don't act sick at all. I thought it was just the spring grass but they are the same all year long. Right now they are just on hay and loose mineral mix, Hi-mag minerals from southern states. I was wandering if they could be missing something in their diet or if we were over feeding them a mineral or something?

rockcreekfarm":1y2b6n5l said:
We have about 60 head of cattle in southern Virginia its my grandmas farm and I just started taking it over about 2 years ago. I have noticed that all the cows ( including the calves and the bulls) have had a loose stool its kind of like diarrhea but they all act fine, eat fine and they don't act sick at all. I thought it was just the spring grass but they are the same all year long. Right now they are just on hay and loose mineral mix, Hi-mag minerals from southern states. I was wandering if they could be missing something in their diet or if we were over feeding them a mineral or something?

I use the same mineral/salt mix. Recently hung a barrel near their winter feeding area and just today noticed a calf wetter than he should be. I thought he may have been in the minerals too much. Most years, by now, I'm on just 2:1 mix but I put out what I had and I know it was S.S. high mag.

fitz

I think that it all depends on what they are eating. Green spring grass seems to cause the "runs." When they get on dryer feed like hay or grain things become more solid. I do not think that you need to worry about this too much as long as they look well otherwise.

Is there a cause/effect thing with high mag minerals and loose manure? I'm interested in learning more about this.

Gale Seddon":gkcms8xn said:
Is there a cause/effect thing with high mag minerals and loose manure? I'm interested in learning more about this.

I don't know Gale. In mentioning my observation with the calf above the first thing that came to mind was the minerals as I couldn't figure another reason at the time.
My cows are always on free choice minerals and regulate themselves very well higher mag or not. Some of the folks here with more experience and knowledge could probably say.

fitz

fitz":11ww0s9d said:
Gale Seddon":11ww0s9d said:

I don't know Gale. In mentioning my observation with the calf above the first thing that came to mind was the minerals as I couldn't figure another reason at the time.
My cows are always on free choice minerals and regulate themselves very well higher mag or not. Some of the folks here with more experience and knowledge could probably say.

fitz

Keep mineral out but get rid of the high mag. Excess magnesium can cause diarrhea in cattle and unless you have lush winter grazing you don't need it.

rockcreekfarm":9755tq00 said:

The consistency of the stool is often in the eye of the beholder. Can you post a picture? Excessive mineral/salt consumption can increase water intake and loosen stool as well. Really rich hay can loosen stool even though it's not pasture. Parasites can loosen stool - have you taken a sample to the vet?

Have a similar problem but not on your same scale. Picked up several steers and one has loose stool. Treating for scours but calf does not exhibit any other signs - he is taking on water, free grazing and eating hay when penned. No loss of weight, slackness, dehydration of loss of alertness in eyes. Stool is loose but not watery. Rich grass does not seem to be impacting any of the other steers. Thoughts?

I have noticed that cattle have loose stool right after they are shipped. They will come out of the trailor with feces all over their rear. It clears up in a day. Second, in my case minerals are not the problem, i.e., cows have been loose all year until I started them on hay about the middle of December. They are all tight now. They have the same intake of high mag mineral because I still have a lot of green grass from new seeding.

Latest posts