Cattle Vaccine Regimen

Help Support CattleToday:

True Grit Farms":133349a6 said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":133349a6 said:
So you just like to bi[ch about it????
It is like there are two different people posting as True Grit Farm. Very contradictory.
I like to hear both sides of the debate. Seems like everyone is just following the leader. And the leader is the drug and pharmaceutical companies. I ask questions and because you should, it might prevent, and maybe doesn't cut it for me. I'm sure glad our local UGA vet, Dr Lee Jones, DMV, MS who set up our vaccination program doesn't work for any pharmaceutical companies. He also happens to be a UGA, Veterinary Diagnostic Investigator, and is up to date on what's happening in the beef production medicine side of our industry. Dr Jones, has what he calls a pet peave that hasn't even been mentioned, and it's the most important part in animal health. One needle one animal, never use the same needle in different animals.
Well, duh! That's not rocket science. that has been advised since back in my "younger years". LOL Doesn't mean we follow that rule.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":18yfsq4t said:
True Grit Farms":18yfsq4t said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":18yfsq4t said:
So you just like to bi[ch about it????
It is like there are two different people posting as True Grit Farm. Very contradictory.
I like to hear both sides of the debate. Seems like everyone is just following the leader. And the leader is the drug and pharmaceutical companies. I ask questions and because you should, it might prevent, and maybe doesn't cut it for me. I'm sure glad our local UGA vet, Dr Lee Jones, DMV, MS who set up our vaccination program doesn't work for any pharmaceutical companies. He also happens to be a UGA, Veterinary Diagnostic Investigator, and is up to date on what's happening in the beef production medicine side of our industry. Dr Jones, has what he calls a pet peave that hasn't even been mentioned, and it's the most important part in animal health. One needle one animal, never use the same needle in different animals.
Well, duh! That's not rocket science. that has been advised since back in my "younger years". LOL Doesn't mean we follow that rule.
It's a shame that everyone isn't as knowledgeable as you on Cattle Today Jeanne. Contrary to what you might think there's different ways and reasons to doing some things. Changing needles is cost and time prohibitive in a large herd. In Florida when we work cows on the ranch there's no time to change the needle between animals. I mention this for those that are following along, same reason I mention that a MLV might not be the best choice for some.

True Grit Farms":hs5rnt9i said:
Changing needles is cost and time prohibitive in a large herd. In Florida when we work cows on the ranch there's no time to change the needle between animals.

It takes literally 5 seconds to change a needle. But it makes a good excuse!

"Doesn't mean we follow that rule." I was acknowledging that "we" (meaning me also) don't always follow that rule - it is costly. I did acknowledge that it has been advised for decades to change needles .
To the best of my knowledge, it is only a problem for blood born diseases.
I think someone above also mentioned AI gloves are also a no-no on reusing. Because of the blood. Also, dehorners should be sterilized in between cattle, because of the blood. You NEVER want to cross contaminate blood.
I think we are "somewhat" on the same page, you just seem to have an argumentative method of getting it across.

I have a different question you brought up. Vaccinating kids for school. If the school's hold firm on kids getting vaccinated, how are these parents getting away with not vaccinating. For the first time in many, many years, un-vaccinated children are having out-breaks of childhood diseases that have been "eradicated" and are a health threat to our elders (like me LOL). I realize some of this must be from "home schooled" kids.

Bright Raven":3p5z8fm4 said:
True Grit Farms":3p5z8fm4 said:
Changing needles is cost and time prohibitive in a large herd. In Florida when we work cows on the ranch there's no time to change the needle between animals.

I'd like to see 5 seconds? And doubt you can't do it the right way in less than a minute. We'll be using a syringe full of micotil just to make it interesting. Have you ever worked 200 head in a day? You don't have time to pee.

True Grit Farms":270fry0h said:
Bright Raven":270fry0h said:
True Grit Farms":270fry0h said:

I'd like to see 5 seconds? And doubt you can't do it the right way in less than a minute. We'll be using a syringe full of micotil just to make it interesting. Have you ever worked 200 head in a day? You don't have time to pee.

No. Have not worked more than 30. In fact, at my farm, I am 100 % a one man operation. I take it slow. Don't push myself or the cattle.

But you are not going to convince me that larger operators cannot change needles between cattle if they are motivated.

Bright Raven":1mn2ule4 said:
True Grit Farms":1mn2ule4 said:
Bright Raven":1mn2ule4 said:

No. Have not worked more than 30. In fact, at my farm, I am 100 % a one man operation. I take it slow. Don't push myself or the cattle.

But you are not going to convince me that larger operators cannot change needles between cattle if they are motivated.
Very true all it takes to be motivated to work an extra day, and pay a extra guy. The needles don't cost enough to matter. My daughter's only job is to change the needles after each animal, and we were waiting on her on every calf Saturday. I gave every animal 2 shots and some 3 which was a MultiMin, and any of the one's that looked liked they need worming got 4.

So changing needles takes a little more time... does that mean it's not worth it? Needles are too expensive? How is a few cents more cost prohibitive given the cost of the vaccines in the first place? Do you buy the absolute cheapest vaccine or the one that gives the best protection for what you need? My girlfriend and I can work 75 in a day. Yeah it's a long day but we get it done. I change needles every animal, use disposable syringes and change those every dozen or so, sometimes less. Dehorners or castration knife gets tossed into a bucket of chlorhexidine solution between uses. I don't find it's that difficult to at least be somewhat conscious of not cross-contaminating when performing this stuff. I'm not exactly anal about it but it seems like the logical way to do it. Otherwise why even bother?

I will comment on how people get their kids into school unvaccinated. They state it is against their religion to vaccinate and the school has to enroll them or it would be discrimination against their religion. I love it when people use religion in such a stupid fashion. So many people have forgotten the ravages these diseases caused. My dad had very poor eyesight due to having rubella as a child. I vaccinate my child, cows, dogs. For the cows I use triangle 10 and covexin 8. Is there a problem with them. I am in central Oklahoma.

darcelina4":1snzp5d8 said:
I will comment on how people get their kids into school unvaccinated. They state it is against their religion to vaccinate and the school has to enroll them or it would be discrimination against their religion. I love it when people use religion in such a stupid fashion. So many people have forgotten the ravages these diseases caused. My dad had very poor eyesight due to having rubella as a child. I vaccinate my child, cows, dogs. For the cows I use triangle 10 and covexin 8. Is there a problem with them. I am in central Oklahoma.

I use Covexin 8. It covers the Clostridial group of bacteria. I think it is excellent.

Triangle 10 covers 5 fetal protection viruses and the 5 leptospira bacteria. The virus preparation for Triangle 10 is 'killed'. My caution is that triangle 10 does not cover hardjo bovis strains of Leptospira. For a Few Dollars More you can get Triangle 10 HB.

I asked my Vet about using vaccine with HB in it and he told me it was expensive and unnecessary. I also asked about Inforce on newborns and he said it couldn't hurt and it would pad Zoetis's pocket which they would appreciate. Me thinks he was in a pretty rotten mood. :hide:
I think the Inforce would be good on heifers 1st calf.

Chocolate Cow2":1a72srs9 said:
I asked my Vet about using vaccine with HB in it and he told me it was expensive and unnecessary. I also asked about Inforce on newborns and he said it couldn't hurt and it would pad Zoetis's pocket which they would appreciate. Me thinks he was in a pretty rotten mood. :hide:
I think the Inforce would be good on heifers 1st calf.

Inforce 3 is certainly bringing the cash in for Zoetis. I spoke to their technical vet for customer service and he stated it is the number 1 selling vaccine that Zoetis markets.

Regarding the Leptospira serovar Hardjo Bovis. I would characterize his comment as his rightful opinion. Research I have read, strongly contradicts him. BTW. It is not that much more expensive. Maybe your vet had a reason for a bad day. It happens.

My vet also said it was not necessary - a few years ago. But, he is singing a different tune now. It has spread all over.
As BR said, very little more money to get the one with HB.
Normal vaccines are really not very effective until the calves are 3 months of age. Inforce3 takes them thru from birth to 3 months.

Thanks for the replies....I figured I'd do what I thought best. The past few years I've made sure HB was in my vaccine for the cows and I'll use Inforce on my calves. Our weather is really testing man & beast. We're seeing 40-60 degree temperature variations in a 24 hour period. Haven't had rain since sometime in October. No snow this winter. Nasty dirty here.

One more question on vaccinating a newborn. I visited with my Veterinarian yesterday and he doesn't like Inforce because of lack of BVD protection. Fair enough. He says K-State says vaccinating newborns is a waste of money.
I remember Lucky_P recently making a comment that new research says different but I can't find it now.
If I were to vaccinate my newborns with ViraShield 6, am I wasting my money?

Virashield 6 in newborns is a waste of money, particularly so if the cow herd has been vaccinated. It's hard to find a vaccine worth giving to newborns in a beef herd beyond Alpha 7 or Inforce III. Most people will get by without those either.

Dempster, that's nearly word-for-word what my Veterinarian said. He thinks Inforce is also a waste. Thanks for your input.

Latest posts