cattle vaccination program -- need help.

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Three Questions:<p>1. What is a good program for vaccinating a herd in east texas? I know they need 8-way blackleg (once, twice, annually?????) and heifers need brucellosis and maybe lepto for breeding aged cows/heifers (annually??? what about in a year-round calving herd???), but I don't know exactly WHEN TO GIVE WHAT. There are so many different opinions on what to give and when. I am thoroughly confused. Some of what I read suggest that they need nearly ten shots followed by another round two weeks later. I just want a good, basic, sound approach to keeping my cows and my bull healthy.<p>2. In a cow-calf operation, I've never vaccinated a calf that I intended to sell at weaning age. Is this acceptable practice, or am I doing the calf and the feedlot a disservice. I am just learning that this may be what "everybody" does, but it may not be good practice.<p>3. I get confused when looking at vaccinations in stores. We refer to blackleg, brucellosis, lepto, etc., but many times the label says something like IBR BVD..... How do I know what this is? Some people recommend modified live vaccines, too. I can't match up the common names with the scientific names on the labels.<p>I know these questions could be quite involved, but I really need help. My county extention agent just wants to give me literature or to refer me to the vet who's too busy to talk and who would rather have the business than to tell me how I can do all of the shots myself.<p>Thanks for your help.
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

beginner":k80w1e9j said:
2. In a cow-calf operation, I've never vaccinated a calf that I intended to sell at weaning age. Is this acceptable practice, or am I doing the calf and the feedlot a disservice. I am just learning that this may be what "everybody" does, but it may not be good practice.

I've wondered this myself. For those of you selling most of your calves at weaning age, do you vaccinate them?

In most cases that I'm familiar with, unless the calf is sold at a pre-vac type of sale the buyer will vaccinate and worm them as soon as they get them anyway.

dun

TXBobcat":1il4jawy said:
beginner":1il4jawy said:
2. In a cow-calf operation, I've never vaccinated a calf that I intended to sell at weaning age. Is this acceptable practice, or am I doing the calf and the feedlot a disservice. I am just learning that this may be what "everybody" does, but it may not be good practice.

I've wondered this myself. For those of you selling most of your calves at weaning age, do you vaccinate them?

Most around here don't. Though I've heard of a couple over the years who wished they had.

TXBobcat":2pj6gzjo said:
beginner":2pj6gzjo said:

wow... you pulled an old one up...older than i thought macon would have on file..

jt

I buy from the salebarn and I don't know their history. I usually hit my own at the same time I do these. I figure its better to be safe than sorry.

I read a study that showed this was the thing that buyer would pay the most to know. I vaccinate my calves and make sure that the auctioneer announces it before selling the calves. I think that it pays enough to make it worthwhile.
Dave

I vaccinate mine because that's what I want to be known for. When I take mine to the barn, I want the buyer to know that anything they buy from me is as safe as can be made. Get a better price also.

Dick

Dick, How do the buyers at the barn know that calf is from your farm? All the calves at our barn are co-mingled and ran through in no specific order. Do your calves carry a special tag or brand? How do you advertise that you vacinate your calves if it's not in a special sale? Just curious, since that's noit the practive around here it seems.

I vacinate all my calves that I pre-con. I blackleg (8-way) all calves when I work them. I just started doing this though, It's cheap insurance, better safe then sorry.

I too vaccinate the feeders that go to the sale barn. I have all the reciepts from the vaccines I buy, the date, and location (what side of the neck) of the vaccine was given, the lot# of each vaccine, then I have the vet sign the sheet. Their weaning date, and what they are on for a feed ration is also on the sheet. I take that to the barn with the calves, and when they are run through the ring it is mentioned, and the sheet goes to the buyer, with my phone # and address if there are further questions.

I saw a presentation by Dr. Darrel Kinnard, veterinarian and cattlemen from Mabank, at the Upper Sabine Cow Calf Clinic this spring. He said that there were 20 diseases that you could vaccinate for but he strongly suggested that you make the following vaccinations:
1. Blackleg all calves at 2 to 4 months and repeat at weaning. Cows should be annually.
2. B.V.D. (Bovine Viral Diarrhea), BRSV (Bovine Respiratory Syncytial Virus), IBR (Infectious Bovine Rhinotracheitis), Leptospirosis and Vibriosis. Vaccinate all cattle twice a year.
3. Haemophilus sominus
4. Redwater
5. Bangs vaccination for all replacement heifers

His recommendation was to use:
Virashield VL5
Vision 8 Sominus
These cover everything he said vaccinate for except the Bangs vaccination which a vet has to do in Texas.

As to your question on whether you should vaccinate for blackleg? It is cheap insurance. One of my friends did not vaccinate for this in the past and lost 4 calves last year. It is now a priority.

IBR,BVD, BRSV were explained above. I would use a killed virus vaccine on cow herd as modified live virus can cause abortions in pregnant cattle. I would use the MLV vaccines on yearlings prior to breeding. You need to booster these shots about 14 to 21 days after the intial vaccination and then once annually to maintain titer levels.

bc, that is a good post.. thanks..

i dont fully understand all the things covered in these vaccines, and that is the reason i was asking about pneumonias the other day...

i currently use the vira shield 5 + vl5.. and a barvac 7/somnus for blackleg. a vet told me this covered the viral pneumonia, but not bacterial... for which you need a pasteurella vaccine..

i guess i didnt know the difference, but think i do now :roll:

always learning something new in the cattle business...

jt

Sidney, I know the owner of the salebarn and he announces it when my calves come through. Nice guy and usually it's the same buyers there all the time. After awhile, they get to know who "Dick Austin" is. I think that helps me out.

Dick

http://www.jordancattle.com/prem_weaned_guidelines.pdf

This may help with some products out there. Reproductive vaccines like Vibrio/Lepto are left out because these are preconditioned guidelines for the feedlot. Somnus and Pasteurella are primarily feedlot diseases.

Modified Live vaccines are better, but you always run a risk of BVD if kicking unweined calves back to their pregnant mommas if you vaccinate prior to weining for respiratory viruses with a MLV.

Latest posts