Cattle,turkey freight costs in your area

Help Support CattleToday:

bkgs

Reaction score
Cattle and turkey
(market ready)

I'm going to speak with the farm bureau, and the state but what are live freight costs in your area to go across the country, a couple of states over and next door.

In Canada,

Across country would probably be in the .15/lb range

Across a few provinces would be .08-.10/lb

In our local area, it's about .01 to .02/lb

I heard and only heard Kalamazoo, mi (western part of the state) to Detroit would be about 3 cents per pound.

Kalamazoo or Detroit to Florida would be about 10 cents per pound.

$3 per loaded mile, would it differ for turkey and if 40 cows per load, how many turkey per load.

Some drivers are simply charging the same as the cost of diesel. Ie, if its $3.30/gal its the same per mile.

How many turkey can be transported is

While livestock are shipped in many types of vehicles, the work horse of the commercial industry is the semi or "Pot" trailer. These are 40 feet long by 8.5 feet wide . They have multiple decks so that more animals can be hauled at a time. When attached to a truck they can legally haul weight of 80,000 pounds including the weight of the truck and trailer. The truck and empty traileº
@"ºô&shyp;in the range"¿35,000 pounds. This means that 45,000 pounds of livestock, or any other commodity can be legally hauled at one time. To determine the number of animals a truck can haul divide 45,000 by the average weight of the animal.

Around this area turkeys are hauled in cage trucks not in potbellys. And I would be suprised if they have any loaded heavier than 30,00 lbs. due to space requirements. The cost for cattle is usually $2.50 per loaded mile.

I know you've got to make your own deal but across country driving the whole country from one side to the other 15 cents per mile would this be negotiating a solid deal like you would be on the low side of the averages reported that seem to be inflated. Or would this be standard or on the high side.

The distances we're talking about are pretty long. Mentioned across the country and michigan to florida and maybe as short a distance as michigan to omaha. Some states are small but how about from one state to another and like across the whole state of an average size state like illinois and arizona and some lesser distances.

Local and short state runs I think I understand.

here to haul cattle is $3 to $4 a loaded mile depending on the hauler.i dont know what it would cost to haul turkeys.

bigbull338":3shlebvx said:
here to haul cattle is $3 to $4 a loaded mile depending on the hauler.i dont know what it would cost to haul turkeys.

Dang Turkeys. They might weigh 46,000 or they might weigh O. If they all flap their wings when you go across the scale, ...

This is my understanding of freight costs

John Pullis
Presque Isle County Extension
151 East Huron Avenue, PO Box 110
Rogers City, Michigan
49779-0110
United States
989/734-2168
989/734-4116

John,
I would like to ask if I can speak with you about getting a thorough understanding of freight costs for turkey or if you can direct me to somebody to speak about freight costs in the turkey industry.

What I am looking at is:
Estimated Freight cost

Local: 1 - 2 cents per pound
(A short run or no run to a processor or location)

Detroit to Kalamazoo: 3 cents per pound
(140 miles)

No data 140 miles to 730 miles

Detroit to Omaha: 8 cents per pound
(730 miles)

Detroit to Florida: 10 cents per pound
(1,150 miles)

Detroit to Maine: can be estimated as is 900 miles

No data 1,150 to 2,263 miles

Detroit to Seattle: No data
( 2,263 miles)

Detroit to San Diego: No data
( 2,275 miles)

Maybe you can see what I going for here, get some standard distances so I can approximate the rest of the distances freight costs.

I would like to find out what the price points, cents per pound would be between Kalamazoo and Omaha or from 140 miles to 730 miles and between Florida and Seatle/San Diego or 1,150 miles to 2,260 miles from Detroit.

Richmond, Virginia to San Francisco California
(2,435 miles)

Augusta, Maine to San Diego California: No data
(2,644 miles)

Seatle, Washington to Miami, Florida: No data
(2,732 miles)

The whole country from the atlantic to pacific I was told 15 cents per pound but this particular price per pound I think assumes inclusive beginning location at an interior location in the united states to a final location at the other ocean so I think this is really a price for 3/4 of the country shipping or 75% of the country shipping.
75% of 2,435 miles is 1,826 miles.
So 15 cents per pound ( 1,826 miles)
I would like to ask if this would be for 3/4 or to ship 100% from the atlantic to pacific.

I don't have the contract fulfilled, I am looking to get an estimate of freight costs before contracting so I don't have a set location to ship from, also I want to have a thorough understanding of freight costs in the contiguous united states.

All the estimates I have are for cattle and I am looking for turkey freight costs.

I would like to know how applicable the cattle estimates are to turkey and how they differ.

Could I speak with you about this or direct me to somebody to speak with about freight costs so I can get a thorough understanding of freight costs in the turkey industry. I will follow up later Monday morining, March 15th to see if I can speak with you about this or direct me to somebody to speak with about freight costs in the turkey industry.

Thanky you!

Latest posts