Cattle Transport Question

Help Support CattleToday:

Don't forget a brand inspection in addition to your health papers. Also usually a TB test that you have to allow for extra time to be rechecked again in 48-72 hrs..
But as Mdash said, check each states requirements. You local vet or brand inspector should have that info readily available.

TennesseeTuxedo":32hjm35t said:
The question that pops into my head is "why?"
TT there are some diseases that have been successfully eradicated, or have not reached certain states. By making sure that the cattle coming into said states are free from those diseases, they are keeping their animals safer.
Kind of like making sure that people coming into the US aren't bringing Ebola to us!

If you get pulled over and do not have transport, brand inspection and health papers on your livestock........you have just lost them.
I have always had them check at the border crossing over also.

branguscowgirl":t4kq0854 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":t4kq0854 said:
The question that pops into my head is "why?"
TT there are some diseases that have been successfully eradicated, or have not reached certain states. By making sure that the cattle coming into said states are free from those diseases, they are keeping their animals safer.
Kind of like making sure that people coming into the US aren't bringing Ebola to us!

If you get pulled over and do not have transport, brand inspection and health papers on your livestock........you have just lost them.
I have always had them check at the border crossing over also.

The "WHY" is as in "why would you haul cattle that far to begin with?"

If I were relocating my operation that may states away I'd start from scratch. I certainly understand the protocols health wise.

TennesseeTuxedo":1mxp7gkb said:
During the height of the drought in texas, there were cattle being sold and hauled into Missouri. Friend of mine bought 4-5 pot loads of bred middle aged cows from texas back then.

dun":3v9z69wu said:
TennesseeTuxedo":3v9z69wu said:
During the height of the drought in texas, there were cattle being sold and hauled into Missouri. Friend of mine bought 4-5 pot loads of bred middle aged cows from texas back then.

That I understand. I was just curious as to the strategy here.

I was born in Greensboro, NC and when I was a kid we moved to Dallas. I made the drive many, many times and it is a very LONG one. We normally broke it into to 2 days.

TennesseeTuxedo":12g4pgyy said:
dun":12g4pgyy said:
TennesseeTuxedo":12g4pgyy said:

That I understand. I was just curious as to the strategy here.

I was born in Greensboro, NC and when I was a kid we moved to Dallas. I made the drive many, many times and it is a very LONG one. We normally broke it into to 2 days.
A couple of years ago I bought some cows with calves from a dispersal sale in tennesee. They kept getting stuck by bad weather. Took 4 days, each night he would unload at a salebarn for the night. Feed And water them then load and haul again the next day.

Last several years I have raised a pot load of bred heifers. They went from out here by the Pacific Ocean to Nebraska. And it hasn't been Western Nebraska either. They stop at a sale yard in Montana unload, feed and water. Carry on the next day. Actually I know of a lot of feeder cattle from here that go to North Platte every year. They go nonstop about 33 hours.

Depending on what part of Texas they might starve to death with a belly full of grass.. I know a few people that tried to bring cows into our area from other parts and couldn't keep weight on them .. I know you can take cows from here to central / west texas and they do fine.

JSCATTLE":pejdqein said:
Depending on what part of Texas they might starve to death with a belly full of grass.. I know a few people that tried to bring cows into our area from other parts and couldn't keep weight on them .. I know you can take cows from here to central / west texas and they do fine.

Another piece of the puzzle.

JSCATTLE":3midzl3b said:

Old rule in east texas never buy a cow west of I 45 to bring home.
As JSC stated you can go from the east to the west, the other way they will
starve to death before adapting to our grass.

I use the website below for any animals I will be moving across state lines. I find it very easy to use. Since I am a Red Angus Seed stock and Commercial farm. I do a fair amount of moving animals from Tennessee to other states for customers.

http://www.interstatelivestock.com/

Latest posts