Cattle trailer questions

Help Support CattleToday:

Been real pleased with my 18' Sundowner.Bought new in '03.I know 15 years sounds like along time,and it is usually,but this trailer only gets hooked up less than a dozen times a year.

JW IN VA":14hux8zz said:
Been real pleased with my 18' Sundowner.Bought new in '03.I know 15 years sounds like along time,and it is usually,but this trailer only gets hooked up less than a dozen times a year.
15 years a long time?? Mine is about 32 years old now... :cowboy:

I used to deal in cattle and horse trailers quit a bit. Wilson is a quality product. I would warn you, several trailer brands, that used to be top of the line have started cutting corners. What size you thinking about?

Bigfoot":zfkctrrh said:
I used to deal in cattle and horse trailers quit a bit. Wilson is a quality product. I would warn you, several trailer brands, that used to be top of the line have started cutting corners. What size you thinking about?

Probably 16' but might be able to use a 20'. Thanks for the warning, I figured that may be the case about the quality.

I have 20' Circle W that was used by a cow trader, and is still in excellent shape after 30 years. Finding a good used cattle trailer in the south isn't real hard, a good trailer will last forever. Buying a trailer that hasn't seen road salt is the trick.

kenny thomas":33r3k8u0 said:
Wilson aluminum, will be the best and last trailer you will ever buy.

Neighbor has an aluminum, maybe 24', pulls with a ¾ Ton Silverado with Duramax and Allison. Don't know the brand. It replaces the regular steel units and he is happy with it including the lighter net weight.
-------------------
On the age comments from others, the older you get the smaller a year is to your total life and years just whizzzzzzz by. I cannot keep up with just how long ago I have done things thinking I did them just yesterday.

On that percentage mentioned above, I remember when I was a kid, just how longggggg the school week was and how short were the weekends.

Texasmark":2gwbk02o said:
kenny thomas":2gwbk02o said:
Wilson aluminum, will be the best and last trailer you will ever buy.

Neighbor has an aluminum, maybe 24', pulls with a ¾ Ton Silverado with Duramax and Allison. Don't know the brand. It replaces the regular steel units and he is happy with it including the lighter net weight.
-------------------
On the age comments from others, the older you get the smaller a year is to your total life and years just whizzzzzzz by. I cannot keep up with just how long ago I have done things thinking I did them just yesterday.

On that percentage mentioned above, I remember when I was a kid, just how longggggg the school week was and how short were the weekends.

just repainted a few years back, stays in shed when not in use...no reason to trade up,I wouldn't benefit from it at all...

I have a 20' W & W aluminum that for occasional use works good mostly open pipe aluminum construction. If I was in the business of hauling a lot of cattle often I would spend the extra and get a Wilson. Neighbor bought one last year for over 17k it ought to be good.

I didn't like the pan style sides and rolled into the btm to be part of the floor. the one I had rotted off the frame there..wasn't new..but it was a very difficult repair to keep the floor in it because the rolled under btm was the edges of the floor. lighter and worked but I guess the previous owner justlet it rust and eventually it became junk

dieselbeef":15jyu67f said:
I didn't like the pan style sides and rolled into the btm to be part of the floor. the one I had rotted off the frame there..wasn't new..but it was a very difficult repair to keep the floor in it because the rolled under btm was the edges of the floor. lighter and worked but I guess the previous owner justlet it rust and eventually it became junk

That is one of the selling points for Big Bend trailers and one reason I bought one. They don't have that bent plate bottom like most others where the manure piles up and the rust begins. Big Bends have a gap and most of the manure falls out the side.
Big Bends are very stout and have a lot of stock features that are options on the others. They are heavy though so not for the person that spends most of the time just hauling a couple. I am very pleased with mine but I have only had it about a year.

Had gooseneck brand 3 years. Would buy another if destroyed or stolen. Might get the rubber floor if doing over.

Latest posts