Cattle trader from Chicago here

Help Support CattleToday:

rgjujitsu":2091bual said:
Wow so it's that kind of forum. Ok I'll stick to lurking.

I admit to being somewhat of a smartazz, but when you put together words like,

" I've got a wife and three kids and i haven't made any money going on three years",

most people will wonder how you are making a living.

But I guess it is none of my business.

rgjujitsu":q0umcua4 said:
i'm also interested in what you all think of computerized trading and do you feel you get better hedges as a result in the increase in volume.
I'm not sure that it equates to better true hedges but it goes without saying that HFT's allow you to move in and out of the marketplace at a stunningly quick pace, potentially taking advantage of volatility.

js1234":2wc4rgag said:
rgjujitsu":2wc4rgag said:
i'm also interested in what you all think of computerized trading and do you feel you get better hedges as a result in the increase in volume.
I'm not sure that it equates to better true hedges but it goes without saying that HFT's allow you to move in and out of the marketplace at a stunningly quick pace, potentially taking advantage of volatility.
I meant of those that hedge using futures or options do you feel you get better fills now that most of it is filled online or using a broker like it used to be more commonly done. Most hft firms are proprietary
and none of us have access to them.

rgjujitsu":1w4w7x4a said:
js1234":1w4w7x4a said:
rgjujitsu":1w4w7x4a said:
I meant of those that hedge using futures or options do you feel you get better fills now that most of it is filled online or using a broker like it used to be more commonly done. Most hft firms are proprietary
and none of us have access to them.

I feel like we get a lot better fills with the electronic trading than the pit on futures. Can't speak to options, don't trade them anymore.

Do you all feel that fundamentals aren't as relevant to futures movement as they once were? I get better fills too since I moved to hedging my options position electronically years ago. The market depth isn't as good in the options though. Very skittish.

rgjujitsu":2ks1tm22 said:
Do you all feel that fundamentals aren't as relevant to futures movement as they once were? I get better fills too since I moved to hedging my options position electronically years ago. The market depth isn't as good in the options though. Very skittish.

The only thing I see is that the swings are harder towards one side or the other. Market fundamentals are still the drivers but the outside money helps to overshoot a rally and oversell a dip. Haven't been doing it long enough to talk about yesteryear.

Options are not as good of a tool as they once were as they are too expensive to use as a pure hedge without combining them in a strategy. Volume should be low as they are not the choice of true hedgers

rgjujitsu":33wlee3p said:
Fundamentals are certainly the drivers but as mentioned by another poster, the funds and other institutional money coming in and out of the market exaggerates the movement either direction. As to the fills, we've been hedging electronically for many years now and the fills are much, much better.

js1234":2dl5bkz2 said:
rgjujitsu":2dl5bkz2 said:
Fundamentals are certainly the drivers but as mentioned by another poster, the funds and other institutional money coming in and out of the market exaggerates the movement either direction. As to the fills, we've been hedging electronically for many years now and the fills are much, much better.

You can't make mOney on fills.... You don't have enough money/volume......

Kingfisher":9wcgasbs said:
js1234":9wcgasbs said:
rgjujitsu":9wcgasbs said:

You can't make mOney on fills.... You don't have enough money/volume......
Huh?

rgjujitsu":2xiuuswn said:
ask away. i was at one time very successful, and i'm trying to get back there. i'm also interested in what you all think of computerized trading and do you feel you get better hedges as a result in the increase in volume.
I think you'll find 100% on this board are involved in real cash market, not futures. What do you expect from this community or what are you searching for??

Latest posts