Cattle To Survive The Heat Wave

Help Support CattleToday:

andybob":3oc4hdjw said:
The land I bought when I lived in NC was also old, overgrown cotton fields. I fenced in a way that would include trees on the perimeter of each paddock before the cattle arrived, but typically they stayed out in the heat grazing (much to the surprise of the visiting staff from the university) thousands of years of being coralled from early evening to mid morning in the African tropics has selected cattle that cope exeptionally well in extreme heat.

andybob-

Could you discuss in a little more detail the protocols of cattle being "corralled from early evening to mid morning"? I assume that they have access to shade in the corrals - but what heat (sun) protection do they have (if any!) the remainder of the day (from mid morning to early evening)? - - - OR - - is this adaptation considered "evolution" of tropical genetics?

The adaptation by the cattle over thousands of years certainly establishes genetic homozygosity for "heat tolerance" in specified breeds. The physiological development over time of sweat glands,(sudoriferous glands) which bos indicus breeds possess enhances their own "air conditioning systems", and presents a 'barrier' on the skin against insects as well, in addition to thicker and more skin overall.

It is a little indiscernible in my mind as to the Neurological impulses(?) which perform as preceptive directives - keeping cattle out in the heat grazing! Their EPD's and DNA profile markers prove that Multiple Trait Selection factors can be used to advantage with no questions to dispute the facts!

Thanks for your input, andybob.

DOC HARRIS

Doc, I don't think that he means that the cattle were in corralls. Andy used the word "paddock" I am assuming that he is refering to a small field in a cell grazing type arrangement. Andy is saying that his Sangas could have laid up in the shade but preferred to graze out in the heat of the day.

Sorry to have caused confusion by referring to the historic stockmanship in the same post as my reference to the herd I was developing in NC. Shade was available in my NC paddock system, but the cattle still grazed in the heat of the day as commented on by the visitors from Duke university.
The typical day in the traditional southern African village would begin with the families waking with the sun, and setting about morning chores, by the time cows have been milked by the boys, water collected by the girls and women, food prepared etc, it would be 9-10 am, before the boys let the calves in with the cows and bulls, and herded the cattle to water, the cattle and goats would then be herded over clean grazing through the day, then herded back to the village before the sun reaches the horizon, when failing light brings out the large predators (and evil spirits), resulting in the cattle being corralled in thorn enclosures by about 5pm, including sorting calves being sorted into seperate corrals, this results in about 6 hours of effective grazing/browsing time. Over the thousands of years that this or similar pattern of herding and corralling resulted in the cattle evolving to accomodate this pattern of daytime grazing. As I have stated before, we always assumed the southern Sanga breeds were Taurindicus due to the phenotype being similar to Indicus when compared to the imported Taurus breeds, all my college notes define them as being Indicus especially in view of the high degree of heterosis expressed when crossed to the British breeds introduced in the 1890's, it was a surprise when the Australians identified their DNA as being Taurus.

andybob-

Thank you for this very explicit answer!

It is a fascinating study to determine how other climates and cattle-handling methods function, and with a little thought and extrapolation one may be able to improve upon their current protocols for their own benefit.

DOC HARRIS

andybob":242rfeg9 said:
Sorry to have caused confusion by referring to the historic stockmanship in the same post as my reference to the herd I was developing in NC. Shade was available in my NC paddock system, but the cattle still grazed in the heat of the day as commented on by the visitors from Duke university.
The typical day in the traditional southern African village would begin with the families waking with the sun, and setting about morning chores, by the time cows have been milked by the boys, water collected by the girls and women, food prepared etc, it would be 9-10 am, before the boys let the calves in with the cows and bulls, and herded the cattle to water, the cattle and goats would then be herded over clean grazing through the day, then herded back to the village before the sun reaches the horizon, when failing light brings out the large predators (and evil spirits), resulting in the cattle being corralled in thorn enclosures by about 5pm, including sorting calves being sorted into seperate corrals, this results in about 6 hours of effective grazing/browsing time. Over the thousands of years that this or similar pattern of herding and corralling resulted in the cattle evolving to accomodate this pattern of daytime grazing. As I have stated before, we always assumed the southern Sanga breeds were Taurindicus due to the phenotype being similar to Indicus when compared to the imported Taurus breeds, all my college notes define them as being Indicus especially in view of the high degree of heterosis expressed when crossed to the British breeds introduced in the 1890's, it was a surprise when the Australians identified their DNA as being Taurus.
i hear those evil spirits are super heat tolerant ;-)

ALACOWMAN":1e1pvu42 said:
i hear those evil spirits are super heat tolerant ;-)

The lions, cheetas, and hyenas would have me so spooked that evil spirits would have to wait their turn.

Running Arrow Bill":qf7b5r71 said:
Our cattle are inhaling water like there's no tomorrow... Otherwise, hanging in there and doing a lot of resting during the heat of the day.

Spent couple hours on computer today searching hay sources in 5 different states. Wife talked to one producer in Nebraska that has alfalfa/orchard grass mix available for $300 a ton delivered to our location... This is not a good sign... Also, been considering some brome hay in Kansas from another producer(s) if they can locate a hauler for much less money. We still have about 4 weeks supply here and hopefully we can find something before long... :cry2:

Alot of folks I am talking to are having problems finding haulers to HAUL to hay down here..apparently hay hauling doesnt make alot of money for the truckers.

friend of mine got a semi of Brome hay from Kansas for her horses..its REALLY nice stuff. She said they were lucky to get on this guy's "list" early.

I moaned about my husband not grubbing my pasture before he left for the desert..now Im thankful, provides ALOT of shade for the cattle..that is where you usually find them, hanging out under the mesquite, in the mud (irrigation)

Latest posts