Cattle Thieves

Help Support CattleToday:

True Grit Farms":2ihicfzz said:
Bond set at $60k and they stole a million plus?

These days I think that is considered pretty harsh.

Did you see where last month a fella in Valdosta was convicted of identity theft and filing false tax returns and convicted of stealing $1.25 million from the US Treasury and they gave him four years in a federal pen. During that time we'll feed him, clothe him, give him free education and healthcare and when he gets out after doing his four years he'll have to pay restitution to the tune of $5/month till all the money is paid back.

I think M-5's rope idea has a lot of merit. Heck, with all this medical marijuana growers out there hemp rope should be plentiful and I believe even the government might be able to purchase it at a reasonable price.

Jogeephus":1497vddl said:
True Grit Farms":1497vddl said:
Bond set at $60k and they stole a million plus?

These days I think that is considered pretty harsh.

Did you see where last month a fella in Valdosta was convicted of identity theft and filing false tax returns and convicted of stealing $1.25 million from the US Treasury and they gave him four years in a federal pen. During that time we'll feed him, clothe him, give him free education and healthcare and when he gets out after doing his four years he'll have to pay restitution to the tune of $5/month till all the money is paid back.

I think M-5's rope idea has a lot of merit. Heck, with all this medical marijuana growers out there hemp rope should be plentiful and I believe even the government might be able to purchase it at a reasonable price.
Amen

Is this correct, only 8?

<Louisiana has eight public livestock markets where producers can sell their livestock. Investigators say four of the eight livestock markets were targeted by the Thompsons.>

Maybe I read the article wrong but I'm wondering how they stole the cattle. If the producers got paid how did they steal the money from the salebarn? I'm with birddog only 8 salebarns in Louisiana?

I've got a few Brangus cows that left that came from Louisiana, wish I had a few more as they've been good ones.

Ok I read another article real quick. So they were going to the salebarn to steal the cows after hours I suppose? Unless they were brave enough to pick the cattle up after the sale? Pretty crafty I guess, salebarns insurance probably paid for the losses.

It reads like fake news. The sale barn business owners pretty much what goes on with the other barns. I can see maybe one getting burned, but 4 out of 8, no way.

And another thing, a million dollars worth of cows these days is around 1000 head. Much more if calves are involved. The story smells.

I kinda gathered they were "buying" cattle but not paying for them. Bounced cheques? Credit line at the barn? There has to be more to this story.

Big talk coming from Florida about hang 'em when that state has 347 on death row for murder, rape ect and have
only followed through 7 times since 2013.

Appears to be fraud and already hang 'em before any trial, when a long list of many convicted for worse remain.
275 animals at $909 hd from each of the 4 sale barns = 1 million dollars
Farmers were paid because sale barns are bonded.
As Silver said, there's gotta be more to the story. IMO life is too precious to snuff out on the basis of a news headline.

bird dog":df63bnk1 said:
Is this correct, only 8?

<Louisiana has eight public livestock markets where producers can sell their livestock. Investigators say four of the eight livestock markets were targeted by the Thompsons.>
Maybe..
Miller Livestock in DeQuincy. (this one may be closed)
Kinder Livestock in Kinder La.
Red River Livestock in Coushatta La.
Dominiques in Opelousas La.
Dominiques in Baton Rouge La.
Mansura Livestock Barn in Mansura La.--I think the actual name is Avoyelles
Delhi Livestock Auction INC in Delhi La.
Amite Livestock Sales in Amite City La.
Fairchild Sales Inc in Kentwood La.
H & H Stockyard LLC in Thibideaux La.

Most are in South and SW La...there are none in North La?

$1 million worth and, it happened over only about a 2month period.
"Louisiana Department of Agriculture and Forestry Brand Commission said the thefts happened between August and October last year"

Sounds like a hot check crime to me as well.

TCRanch":3ums4hvn said:
How were 2 people in their late 60's & their idiot son able to steal that many cattle? Unless they had help? I do hope eventually justice is served!
From reading the article, it sounds like they were bidding on the cattle but never paying, or writing bad checks to the sale barn.

sstterry":2134vtzt said:
TCRanch":2134vtzt said:
How were 2 people in their late 60's & their idiot son able to steal that many cattle? Unless they had help? I do hope eventually justice is served!
From reading the article, it sounds like they were bidding on the cattle but never paying, or writing bad checks to the sale barn.
Gotcha, thanks, that makes more sense.

sstterry":3id4t3q0 said:
TCRanch":3id4t3q0 said:

Kinda odd that it took the authorities 6 months to arrest them. I'm pretty sure if I floated bad paper at Livingston Tx sale barn, someone with a star on their shirt would be knocking on my door the same or following week.

greybeard":d1mst9r2 said:
sstterry":d1mst9r2 said:
TCRanch":d1mst9r2 said:

Kinda odd that it took the authorities 6 months to arrest them. I'm pretty sure if I floated bad paper at Livingston Tx sale barn, someone with a star on their shirt would be knocking on my door the same or following week.
I know what ya mean , these people are kinda like the folks that get fired from every job they ever had but always got another one in days . I don't understand how they could sleep at nite.

I wondered too, if they were buying cattle at one facility, using bad checks, then taking the same cattle to another barn a week later and selling them for that barn's good paper?
That may be why it took so long to arrest them..investigators wanted the whole enchilada.
Bad checks (presumably) and then selling 'stolen' cattle.
It would take some time to track down where each animal was 'bought' and sold at...connecting the dots.

(the news articles didn't indicate exactly how it all took place, or whether the family still had possession of any (or all) of the animals or not.)
Regardless, it does appear some kind of fraud took place.

Latest posts