Cattle theft, feeding, etc.

Help Support CattleToday:

Arnold Ziffle

Reaction score
I guess it goes without saying, but with prices where they are there is increased temptation for the lowlifes to steal cattle. The Houston TV stations just ran a segment about a guy in Pearland, Tx. (a close suburb of Houston) that just had 31 cows and calves stolen by some filthy trash -- about 1/3 of all his animals. His place is apparently fairly well surrounded by subdivisions and lots of "civilization" but that didn't help. They apparently herded them into his pens and just ran them through the cute and onto the trailers. Things like that should probably make us double check our thinking about where we locate pens, where we do the winter feeding, should we vary the feeding time each day so as not to develope a noticeable pattern, branding, getting together with our neighbors to talk about who should and should not be on the property at any point in time, etc. A few good chains and/or some sort of significant barrier up against the loading chute might not hurt either.

AZ you are very correct can see the pens from the front porch,guarded by a large bore rifle. The loading chutes are chain locked.just an inconvience for thieves.

I have a couple of old horned cows that will fight if you are not careful how you handle them!!! I just hope that if someone tries to load mine up in the night that they get those two up in that crowding area and get them stirred up. They will mow your butt down and take out the gates in the process thus turning out the rest in the process. I always ease those two in first and get them turned out. My luck the pieces of trash will sue me for my security system hurting their sorry #sses!!

I know a family friend that ranches in NW Houston area. Someone broke into his barn, stole his flatbed gooseneck, loaded up his tractor and fourwheeler on the trailer before they took it though. He had the gates and barn locked and he found the chains cut with bolt cutters.

sidney411":5xvrw0i0 said:
I know a family friend that ranches in NW Houston area. Someone broke into his barn, stole his flatbed gooseneck, loaded up his tractor and fourwheeler on the trailer before they took it though. He had the gates and barn locked and he found the chains cut with bolt cutters.
We have'nt had any events like that around here in a while. The trailer thieves all got caught and did some time. Most thieves around here will think twice, as they know the "Right to Bear Arms" is alive and well here. Once in a while a 4 wheeler will dissappear, or someones Cattle will get out and mysteriously are never found.

We're watching the city grow up around us and have had to sell some land for a new freeway...I guess that it's only a matter or time before we have some trouble...do get some PWTs (plain white trash) dump pickup loads of crap in our drive...last one left her name and address in the junk, cost her a nice fine and had to clean it up.
So much for noisy dogs...
DMC

We have a deep gully that runs through our place and under a road. There seems to be a new assortment of junk thrown in there every week. I'm really getting sick of people throwing their old couches and chairs on our place. I found a feed sack full of rabbit "parts" back in the summer - it stunk to high heaven!

Here is one for ya. Some kids from a small town near by stole some cattle from several ranchers. Took them to the sale the next day. Only thing is they took them to the Stephenville sale. THE DAY OF THE DAIRY SALE. All beef cows. :shock:

Scotty

They must not be very smart to be from around Stephenville and not know when the dairy sale is - geez - Erath county is the largest dairy producing county in Texas :roll:

Latest posts