Cattle tail louse: cows and calves losing switch

Help Support CattleToday:

arkie 74

Reaction score
Noticed cows losing tail switch. Thought they where just pulling them out. Then a couple of them started showing hair loss on the tail and looked rat tailed about three inches from tip. Has anyone heard of or had dealings with cattle tail louse. If so how did you treat them?

If you look close, you can see the tail lice, after they progress to (I think) the 2nd stage of their development. Wear gloves and use a magnifying glass.

I have to agree with red bull breeder, unless you can see the louse it sounds like fescue poisoning. Not a real issue other than cosmetic.

Vet come out and took a hair and skin sample. He said in twenty five years of practice he had never seen anything like it before. The end of the tails are scabs and a little swollen. He said it was a mite that horses get in their mane and tail. They focus on long hair. He recommended dipping the tails in a solution of ?perethryin? and mineral oil and water. Red Bull I've seen fescue poison before ,but never seen them lose hair going up their tail.

Latest posts