Cattle software

Help Support CattleToday:

mnbryant2001

Reaction score
I have searched the subject and only find a mention of Cattlemax here. I have downloaded and looked at it.I like the layout and prefer a software with everything in one place as opposed to Excel which I have. The price is great as well. My question is are there any others or is this pretty much the standard?

I have researched the subject myself and posed the question here. From what I gather, from others, Cattlemax is the best. Though I have no personal experience.

i to have used cattlemax an its the best.but it is a little pricey but you get what you pay for.an its very easy to keep your records on.

I tried the free trial of Cattlemax and I was not impressed. Tried Ranch Manager and it was better priced and much easier to use.

I did just the opposite. Bought Ranch Manager installed it and pretty much scratched my head, and spent too much time typing. Never could get anyone on the phone.
Bought Cattlemax and it seemed to be more user friendly to me.
Generally always somebody working the phones at Cattlemax for the questions I have had.
"Cut and Paste" would make it darn near perfect.
The Ranch Manager is sitting on the shelf collecting dust.

That's funny cmf I always got a call back or even an e-mail right back.

I can enter all my vaccines much easier then trying to figure out Cattlemax. Just got sick of trying to even understand it and just removed it from my computor. Couldn't get any help from CM at all. Just hard to understand what the service guy was saying and he was not very patient.

I luv herfrds":3mpttv9n said:
That's funny cmf I always got a call back or even an e-mail right back.

I can enter all my vaccines much easier then trying to figure out Cattlemax. Just got sick of trying to even understand it and just removed it from my computor. Couldn't get any help from CM at all. Just hard to understand what the service guy was saying and he was not very patient.

Which version? Over the years I remember you not liking Cattlemax...just wondering if you have seen the latest versions...

Thanks for the input. I downloaded Cattlemax and it seems simple enough and all can be kept in one place. I did look at Ranch manager but I don't see a free trial.

IMO Cattle Max is not really what I would call a cattle management software program. It is just an extensive, pre-configured, Microsoft Access database. Since I already have Microsoft Access, I'm trying develop a similar database just for my own use, with only what I need. I might add, I have a nephew who's an IT manager for a large hospital helping me. I'll update everyone if it works out. If anything this old dog might learn something new about computing, and be able to use a computer for something constructive.

Well I won't be using Cattlemax. Shame too. I liked the trial. But it was last updated two years ago and they have lauched their online software. No way in heck will I depend on the net being up to do my records. Might be more dependable in other places but power and internet is not to be counted on here. Like tonight. Sit in the dark till 9pm. No net or power. Would have been a great time to work on my records with the laptop. know i'll take a look at Ranch Manager.

I use Cattlemax and love it. It does take some time to learn. I don't want any software on "the cloud". As far as I know you can use Cattlemax as a standalone on your own computer. As far as writing your own software, if that is what you want to do as a hobby, fine. It just isn't that easy to make a program that does the things a program like Cattlemax does. And the sooner you start with software the more valuable it is. A couple generations of calves and everything runs together until you have it in a computer. Weighing cattle is critical to learning and improving. Cattlemax is very good with weight data...once you figure out how to use the program. jmho Jim

SRBeef I like the look of Cattlemax but the standalone version has been dropped. When I went to purchase it I found that out. Online has replaced it. It is a monthly charge now instead of a one time purchase. The standalone has not been updated since 2010. I can buy and use it. But only as long as I have a computer that will run it. In 3 years I may not have windows 7. So if I am going to make a purchase I don't want to have a time limit already set. Then again they may loose enough business to back up if the online version isn't well received. It may or may not run on next OS. So I will look at others.

Tried to check out cattle works. You have to have Access to run it it seems. If I buy Access I would do my own database. Been a while since I have used Access though. I have Open Office which is the same thing. I just have to relearn it. Which I may do. Have Ranch Manager installed but haven't had time to figure it out. Cattlemax is easy. Didn't even read the guide. For me Ranch Manager isn't. Have even figured out how to make and entry yet. So I'll take a look at the manual.

Dad never had scales. But I do have that in my near future plans.

Oh and I have done some programming with Java and VB6 in the past for fun. And I agree. It's much easier to buy.

Sounds like Cattlemax has fallen into the same hole that every company does with a good software product - no ongoing revenue stream to support the business. If you put out a crappy program with lots of bugs and sell updates every year or two (like windows) you generate more income.

I'll just keep using mine as long as I can and hope they will work with me when I need help. I would be willing to pay a modest annual support fee if necessary but will be the last person on earth to go to the "cloud". When someone has your critical and hard earned data on a computer somewhere in Timbuktu, they are in charge, not you.

I feel this pressure to "cloud" computing, along with your life of Facebook, etc. is a much more serious threat to our personal freedom than a lot of other things folks get all worked up about. I'll take national health care long before "cloud" computing! jmho.

Thanks for the information.

Jim

SRBeef I'm with you. Bet it makes it easy for big brother to keep up with you on the cloud. Doubt it's in Timbuktu though. Unless that's where the IRS stores the rest of out life story. :hide: And like you, if I already owned cattlemax I would stick with it till the end.

I enjoy FB myself due to the fact I have out of state kin who love to give me a hard time there! :bang: But it's a great place for all of us to chat together. Yet I am amazed at what some people will post there.

mnbryant2001":7e0p8vav said:
SRBeef I'm with you. Bet it makes it easy for big brother to keep up with you on the cloud. Doubt it's in Timbuktu though. Unless that's where the IRS stores the rest of out life story. :hide: And like you, if I already owned cattlemax I would stick with it till the end.

I enjoy FB myself due to the fact I have out of state kin who love to give me a hard time there! :bang: But it's a great place for all of us to chat together. Yet I am amazed at what some people will post there.

You would be surprised at where a lot of these "cloud" sites are hosted. The storage usually goes to the low bidder, and that is typically overseas. Think about where your "customer service" phone call is often answered. It can be anywhere in the world.

And I am not concerned about the IRS seeing my data, nothing to hide there. It's a whole lot of other people who like to "mine" personal data for their own gain that I think we all need to be concerned about.

Why do you think the financial world just made Mark Zuckerberg a billionaire? It ain't because he is a champion of individual rights and privacy... He is more of a concern than the IRS, in my opinion.

Again jmho and bias. Jim

SRBeef":gp8xr3oy said:
Again jmho and bias. Jim
Remember the old saying "just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that thay're not out to get you"

Gators Rule":259mzjea said:
I use Cattlemax, but I'm not very pleased with it. Cows mysteriously disappear, and I spend half my time correcting it. i don't dare shut it down without backing it up...
I've been using it for probably close to 15 years and have never had problems like that. You might email or call them and discuss the problem, their customer service used to be the best of any of hte cow software companys. But I haven;t had to talk to them about any issues for 3-4 years now

Latest posts