cattle shed fur early

Help Support CattleToday:

Welcome to the boards!! PLEASE go to your profile and put your location in the profile. On this post, we know where you are because you typed it in the post. Few days from now, if you post again, "I" won't remember where you are from. LOL It just helps ALL of us when we are answering questions. If you look at our avatar to the left, it lists MOST of our locations.
I totally agree - looks like lice. And your herd looks great.

To the knowledgeable ones on here-are there any internal parasites that cause severe itching as a side effect? In goats (different beast, I know) severe itchiness and bald spots can be a sign of a meningeal deer worm infestation...

I agree with the people who suspect lice. Can't rule out mange, but the difference is mostly irrelevant as far as treatment is concerned.

I'm not aware of any internal parasites causing itching in cattle, but that's not my specialty.

hi everyone, thanks for the input. They are on open pasture now, snow is deep and all they do us walk over the pathways we walk with horse:), so it is going to be a move to facilities in the next day or so.

Rubstsovsk is about 6-7 hors from me, not too far, but it is in the flat area, we are in the pre-mountains/hills. I tried to put a link to youtube of my channel, I started but it did not go through, but if you go on youtube and search for "cattle ranch from scratch" should be able to find it...videos mostly from winter but plan to Post more as we go

Found your introductory video. Looks like an outstanding ranch. Looking forward to seeing your fencing and grazing management come together.

Enjoyed your videos and subscribed. That country is absolutely beautiful. I've been all over with google earth and it looks like limitless potential there.

Enjoyed your videos and subscribed. That country is absolutely beautiful. I've been all over with google earth and it looks like limitless potential there.
Absolutely, agree with you. I have really no neighbors and closest vilage is about 6,5 miles, I am learning everywhere now and understand that it will take a couple of years to get the desired heard for these conditions.

We are so lucky being able to view and hear from people from all over the world like yourself. Welcome to CT. Australia exports a lot of heifers to Russia and surrounds for developing cattle herds, do any of yours have origins in Australia?

Ken

Hi Ken,

In this region originally genetics been brought in from Canada and US, but I've heard that AUS also exported lots of cows. I bought mine from a guy who purchased his original stock from Canada many years ago, these animals are adopted to the conditions here.

Anyhow, back to the original topic, I moved the herd through the chute and gave them vitamins. I am bot sure if thats the problem, but there was an opinion that most likely this is it. As for parasites and other things, I will keep a close eye on them. Salt is the inly thing they get and I think that eating hay only, no grain or anything else whatsoever they might lack of on some of the nutrients. I plan to build and gave them free choice minerals comes spring once they are all on pasture again. I really try to have a heard that will require minimum maintanance and can survive and be good on hay alone in winter.

Anyhow, back to the original topic, I moved the herd through the chute and gave them vitamins. I am bot sure if thats the problem, but there was an opinion that most likely this is it. As for parasites and other things, I will keep a close eye on them. Salt is the inly thing they get and I think that eating hay only, no grain or anything else whatsoever they might lack of on some of the nutrients. I plan to build and gave them free choice minerals comes spring once they are all on pasture again. I really try to have a heard that will require minimum maintanance and can survive and be good on hay alone in winter.
I understand your limitations, we all have them. But, if you moved them through the chute, I really believe you should have given them some sort of parasitic treatment.

Free choice mineral would be a good idea. Search you tube there is quite a few videos showing people who have built feeders that would work well in your environment. I use 50 gal plastic drums with a hole cut in the side and sits inside a tire so can be drug around with my side x side. It will hold 3, 50lb bags of mineral and keeps it dry. I found the idea on youtube as well. If you'd like let me know and I'll get a pic for you next time I'm out feeding.

Latest posts