Cattle Scales

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

The North Mississippi Beef Agribition is in the market <br>for a set of cattle scales! These would be for a single<br>animal in the working chute area or the working alley!<p>Would like comments, good or bad regarding Electronic <br>scales vs. Mechanical scales!<p>Thanks for any imput! <br>
<br>
<br><hr size=7 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

I love my Tru-Test...had since 93, no problems (except when<br>a cow ate the cord from the load cell). In my opinion far more<br>accurate that mechanical...but the only mechanical I have<br>ever used was in 10lb increments (might have been more than 10lb).<br>I test my the tru-test with a 3lb mallet, then a 1lb hammer, then<br>a 11lb Jack Russell...<p>The mechanical I have to adjust my bi-focals, clean the manure off<br>after a few, double check that I read it right. Okay, I said<br>enough.<br>
<br>

[email protected]

(User Above)":29oyheue said:
: I love my Tru-Test...had since 93, no problems (except when<br>: a cow ate the cord from the load cell). In my opinion far more<br>: accurate that mechanical...but the only mechanical I have<br>: ever used was in 10lb increments (might have been more than 10lb).<br>: I test my the tru-test with a 3lb mallet, then a 1lb hammer, then<br>: a 11lb Jack Russell...<p>: The mechanical I have to adjust my bi-focals, clean the manure off<br>: after a few, double check that I read it right. Okay, I said<br>: enough.<p>Thanks for your response! Can you tell me if you<br>use your scales once a year or monthly, etc. We're<br>wanting to determine the reliablity of the <br>different types! We current have an annual sale,<br>but other events may use the scales if they need<br>them.<p>Thanks for your help!!
<br>

[email protected]

Some months have higher usage. I do not use the scales in Nov Dec Jan and Feb--in Mar Apr May (they are used weekly--worming, yearling weights, etc). June and July see little use. Aug Sept Oct (weaning, worming, selling) weekly use.<br>
<br>

(User Above)":jso6xnwy said:
: Some months have higher usage. I do not use the scales in Nov Dec Jan and Feb--in Mar Apr May (they are used weekly--worming, yearling weights, etc). June and July see little use. Aug Sept Oct (weaning, worming, selling) weekly use.<p>Thanks for the info!
<br>

[email protected]

(User Above)":28xjnxr7 said:
: The North Mississippi Beef Agribition is in the market <br>: for a set of cattle scales! These would be for a single<br>: animal in the working chute area or the working alley!<p>: Would like comments, good or bad regarding Electronic <br>: scales vs. Mechanical scales!<p>: Thanks for any imput! <p><br>I also use TruTest AG500-02 electronic scales with my squeeze chute mounted on the loadbars. I have used it for about seven years now.<p>It automatically sets the weight range it uses. Weights to 500 pounds are accurate to 1 lb. 500-1250 pounds to 2 lb. 1250 to 2500 pounds to 5 lb. 2500 to capacity at 10 pounds.<p>That is with standard loadbars, I use the heavy duty ones under my chute and have had no problems with it. Works great either from 115 volt power, or off 12 volt truck battery if you don't have AC power at your chute.<p>There are also functions to record weights in the scale module and download to your computer programs. That is available in Cattlepro's programs, although I don't use it.<p>When I bought my scale, they were not legal for trade in California, but I believe they were working on that, don't know the result though.<p>The ability to track weights several times a year on my herd, anytime I have them in the corral, is a real plus. I simply make a make a Health Record entry in my Cattlepro program for that animal for that date's weight. For cows, it allows me to watch flucuations over the years and seasons. For calves, it allows Cattlepro to make accurate calculations of average daily gains, weaning weights and yearling weights.<p>The TrueTest scales are great, used with a excellent program like Cattlepro, you really know a lot about your cattle.<p>Tom Reese<br>
<br>

[email protected]

(User Above)":377gyf18 said:
: : The North Mississippi Beef Agribition is in the market <br>: : for a set of cattle scales! These would be for a single<br>: : animal in the working chute area or the working alley!<p>: : Would like comments, good or bad regarding Electronic <br>: : scales vs. Mechanical scales!<p>: : Thanks for any imput! <p>: <br>: I also use TruTest AG500-02 electronic scales with my squeeze chute mounted on the loadbars. I have used it for about seven years now.<p>: It automatically sets the weight range it uses. Weights to 500 pounds are accurate to 1 lb. 500-1250 pounds to 2 lb. 1250 to 2500 pounds to 5 lb. 2500 to capacity at 10 pounds.<p>: That is with standard loadbars, I use the heavy duty ones under my chute and have had no problems with it. Works great either from 115 volt power, or off 12 volt truck battery if you don't have AC power at your chute.<p>: There are also functions to record weights in the scale module and download to your computer programs. That is available in Cattlepro's programs, although I don't use it.<p>: When I bought my scale, they were not legal for trade in California, but I believe they were working on that, don't know the result though.<p>: The ability to track weights several times a year on my herd, anytime I have them in the corral, is a real plus. I simply make a make a Health Record entry in my Cattlepro program for that animal for that date's weight. For cows, it allows me to watch flucuations over the years and seasons. For calves, it allows Cattlepro to make accurate calculations of average daily gains, weaning weights and yearling weights.<p>: The TrueTest scales are great, used with a excellent program like Cattlepro, you really know a lot about your cattle.<p>: Tom Reese<br>: <p>Thanks for your comments!
<br>

[email protected]

Latest posts