Cattle Sale. What should I expect to see?

Help Support CattleToday:

Kingfisher

Reaction score
http://www.jordancattle.com/ Not tooting anybody horn and I hope this is not above the guide lines. I want to go to this sale
for one reason and that is to buy a " Tiger Stripe" momma cow. I think that part of the sale is the foundation for this particular sale but
I noticed a few days ago they are up to 3600 cows! Lots of premium packages coming to the sale. I think they handle that many cattle on a normal basis but I found it funny how lots of good sets are showing up at the last minute! We/ They got a good bit of rain last week but I think we are still in a drought...and dudes remember what the sting was like last winter........I think it's an opportunity to pick a good cow/calf up but I have the feeling prices will be inflated! What would you do? I'm at least going to see what shape they are really in! That might be worth a nickle......cuz it will cost me $49 in gas......but that is another rant......

everything i've heard has been good
calfbuyer and some others live around there can tell you more, but in the spring when we were stilll dry guys around here were selling cows there and they did well.
also have a freind that bought a nice set of cows there, it cost him but they are really nice.

All cattle have been sorted to remove any culls, alway have good quality cows there, buyers come from all over the States to buy , also the sale will be on internet to buy, so their is a large number of buyers, expect to pay premium prices, usually several hundred dollars above market value.

I live 2 miles from the barn. Drive by there numerous times a day. Trailer loads of cattle have been rolling in for a week now. Hauled a trailer load of calves there this morning. worked too late to be able to get my check and see how they sold. Driving by looks like there are lots of real good cows there, there always is. If you want tigers, the Deep Creek Heifers are front and center in the pens by the road so you can see em from the highway. There will be plenty of opportunity to buy some real good cows there just depends on how long you want to keep your hand up. In my opinion, this is one of the best barns in the state.

We have always gotten good prices when we have sold there. Also, treated very well by them.

cowboy43":1vbp7m0l said:
All cattle have been sorted to remove any culls, alway have good quality cows there, buyers come from all over the States to buy , also the sale will be on internet to buy, so their is a large number of buyers, expect to pay premium prices, usually several hundred dollars above market value.
Thanks for your reply. Where are you located? Thanks in advance.

you can tell by the # of head that they have at their special cow sales that its a good sale.that being said id bet your going to have to pay high an wide buying cattle there.

Bought 24 from a guy that bougt them at that sale as bred heifers and calved them out. He got in a drought situation and had to sell. They are now about to have their 4th calf and I still have 20 of em. Culled 2 for not breeding back on time and 2 for enlarged teat after calving. Of the remaining 20 they have been fantastic, would love to have more of em. (Brangus Baldies).

All these special cow sales run a hundred to a couple hundred higher it seems. I can look at local barns that have weekly cow/bull sales and those numbers are always passed by quickly at these smaller barns that have the special sales.

J&D Cattle":1i6gxi8n said:
All these special cow sales run a hundred to a couple hundred higher it seems. I can look at local barns that have weekly cow/bull sales and those numbers are always passed by quickly at these smaller barns that have the special sales.
the breeders have a couple hundred dollars more in them to, plus a stronger commission... but ive seen guys go to regular weekly sales and buy brahman X heifers take em home and get em dolled up, and take em to these special sales....but no doubtr these guys run a tighter ship then the average sales

I still have my money! Heck I even still have the gas money. :) I thought about it some more and decided not to go to the sale. I did see alot of them however as I watched it online. Beautifull. It seemed that the prices were about where you would expect but it also looked like some really good hearty beef cattle got sold. The Tigers were mostly in big groups so I would not have been able to get one unless I bought in the parking lot :) None of them looked as nice as CB's brown heifer he purchased a few weeks ago.