Cattle running hot?

Help Support CattleToday:

Have these cows been in fescue all their life? If not that is a lot of the problem and if they are use to it it will still raise their body temp. In this heat a few degrees makes a lot of difference.

Ghunt get some mineral with the ckc or Vita ferm with fescue buster it will make a difference.But till it has time to work better let them swim in the pond.

Angus Cowman":2qnlrbih said:
you can run a mineral with CTC in it to help fight the endophyte in fescue

CTC won;t actaully do anything about the endophyte. What it does is helps to prevent he repercussions of the endophyte. The endophyte is toxic and makes them more susceptible to disease but the CTC provides a dose of antibiotic to prevent the disease from getting a toe hold. Went through this song and dance with some one once and ended up talking directly to (either Vitaferm or Kent) to get the straight of it. Around here you almost have to special order minerals with CTC since so few people feed them.

The Vita Ferm is easy to get up close to you Dun. Bush hog the seed heads off will help alot,as most of the toxens is in the seed head and stem.

I have had some of the same problems here. Only 3 cows though out of 75. They even get into the tank(concrete). Have changed mineral 3 times and the last one seems to help a little. The first one was a high dollar breeder mineral and I think it made it worse. The copper and selenium(sp) was higher than recomended for this area. Could this make a it worse?
The one I am using now was formulated for this area by taking forage, soil, and blood tests. Southern States is mixing it for us.
Also these are black simmy cows that were here last year with hotter weather and no problems.

dun":20fq6odx said:
Angus Cowman":20fq6odx said:
you can run a mineral with CTC in it to help fight the endophyte in fescue

CTC won;t actaully do anything about the endophyte. What it does is helps to prevent he repercussions of the endophyte. The endophyte is toxic and makes them more susceptible to disease but the CTC provides a dose of antibiotic to prevent the disease from getting a toe hold. Went through this song and dance with some one once and ended up talking directly to (either Vitaferm or Kent) to get the straight of it. Around here you almost have to special order minerals with CTC since so few people feed them.
you are correct Dun I should have said to help fight the effects of the endophyte

Dun, I was surprised you didn't jump right in from the very first post - he said they were on fescue.
You are our fescue GURU.
Ghunt - if you are not aware of it - fescue has a toxin that bothers cattle. It causes their body temp to rise. It can also cause other problems.
Dun has cattle that have been born & raised on toxic fescue & manages to do well. There are new non-toxic fescue's available for planting now, but I don't think it is as hardy as the toxic version.

if you treat them with ivomec it will counter some of the effects of the fescue, which makes them hotter from constricted blood vessels & not shedding their winter coat. aureomycin mixed with the minerals would also help some. the water in the ponds does help to cool them but they also drink that same water. would help to if they had some brahma influence.