Cattle running hot?

Help Support CattleToday:

Ghunt

Reaction score
We have Black Angus cattle and we rotate them in 3 pastures. Two of the pastures have ponds and one has a tank. Our cattle seem to stand in the ponds a lot and seem to act normal. When we put them in the pature with the watering tank things change. They drink out of the tank fine but the cows will stand around the pasture with their tounges hanging out and there seems to be foam coming out of their mouths. They will even dip half their head in the water. When they go to the other pasture everything seems to be fine. This is a new pasture with the tank. Its the second time they have been on it. Any suggestions?

Also, We are in North Georgia (Yes its hot as Hell). The cattle are on Fescue grass and have acess to minerals 24-7.

If it's as hot where you are as it is here, then your tank is probably full of 90+ degree water (on the top). It can make a mess, but if you'll leave the water slightly running, the tank will overflow and help keep the water cooler.

I would probably be foaming at the mouth too it I had to drink hot water in this weather...

1982vett":cs743vzj said:
Give them access to the tank untill it gets cooler or they adjust to the heat better.
:oops: In Texas a tank = pond so it should read:
Give them access to the pond until it gets cooler or they adjust to the heat better. :)

1982vett":2vad9lgv said:
1982vett":2vad9lgv said:
Give them access to the tank untill it gets cooler or they adjust to the heat better.
:oops: In Texas a tank = pond so it should read:
Give them access to the pond until it gets cooler or they adjust to the heat better. :)

So.... a Texas tank = a pond! Learned something new again today. When we talk tank, we are talking about the water tank/trough. When we talk pond, we want to go fishing. :nod:

In this sunshine 95+ degree weather, our water tank gets warm.

Yep, a tank is a hole in the ground that catches water
A water tank is also a water trough (or old bathtub with a float) or that thing next to the water well that holds the water (pressure tank) Guess a water tank could also be the cistern by the windmill.
Now you can float on a tank (hole in the ground) and find a float on a water tank (trough), but you can't float in a water tank (pressure tank) but it does have one.
:???: Where is that English thread :???:

I'm dizzy now. :lol2:

They drink out of the tank fine but the cows will stand around the pasture with their tounges hanging out and there seems to be foam coming out of their mouths. They will even dip half their head in the water.

This sounds like more Angus bashing :lol: :lol: It's been very hot here, humid, sunny. Ain't never seen a cow of any color EVER dip their head under water, and I doubt any other person familiar with cattle has either. :roll:

He said they dip part of their head in the water , sounds like they are trying to get cooler water. cattle have their favorite spots and this obviously ain't one of em , maybe the breezes aren't as good and maybe the water isn't as good either. We can formulate these great pasture plans and the cattle just say screw it , i like that corner over there and thats where I'ma gonna go kimosabe.

Pretty much a normal reaction/response to uncomfortaably high temps. Throw in humidity and it is as bad for a cow as it is for people. I would put them back in the pasture with the tank(pond).

My angus will pant in the summer, hang in the shade and stock tanks. I only have a few that are slick haired and hope to never have any more. I took them in trade or else they calved out of heavy bred brangus cows. When the ring man announces, "these cows have been running with a black angus bull" I don't bid on them. Sometimes you just don't know.

My advice would be not to run cold climate breed cattle in warm climates. We've had 5 days in a row of 100 plus with more to come. Overnight lows are 80 degrees.

I go along with grannysoo on this. Let the water run slowly. If the problem is too warm water, then this should help. Ron

Your cattle are just stressed from the heat. They don't dislike the water in the water trough. They're just wishing it was big enough to get into. Cattle will drink warm water just as quickly as cold water and it's better for them. Probably not 10 degrees diff. between the pond and the water trough. Keep'em in the pasture with ponds and then give them access to the other pasture at night.

backhoeboogie":8zfn19mr said:
TexasBred":8zfn19mr said:
Your cattle are just stressed from the heat.

Cold water to drink is not going to solve that issue either.

No but it will keep them hydrated and alive until the temps drop below the critical level. Dairy cattle survive much higher levels of environmental stress and survive while producing huge amounts of milk and breeding back, but it's a 24 hour a day job for both cow and man.

Im in north Georgia. The cattle are on Fescue grass. They have access to minerals all the time. What minerals do you think they might need?

Ghunt":3smj3z9a said:
Im in north Georgia. The cattle are on Fescue grass. They have access to minerals all the time. What minerals do you think they might need?
I didn;t see a difference but some of the companys have minerals that htey claim will help mitigate the effects of the endophyte in fescue. I tried some that had "fescue buster" whatever that was. Didn;t make any difference since the cows wouldn;t touch the stuff. The best you can do is provide a mix of forages so that the other stuff can help dilute the endophyte

Ghunt":dfqfug6h said:
you can run a mineral with CTC in it to help fight the endophyte in fescue

and Dun,it probably wasn't the CTC or other additives that some of these companies use for the fescue that kept them from eating it ,it very well could have just been the mineral composition itself
I know that there are some minerals mixes out there my cows won't touch and a free choice mineral isn't worth anything if the cows won't eat it

I hate hearing people complain that their cows are eating too much mineral I would rather see them eat it than not

Latest posts