cattle rubs

Help Support CattleToday:

johndeerefarmer

Reaction score
Any tips on getting my cattle to use a cattle rub? I built a combination cattle rub and mineral feeder that I can drag from pasture to pasture. I just gotta figure out how to make them rub on the rub. My best idea is to put the rub across a gate opening and make them walk under it a few times.

Best areas for Rubs are in a Lane or a Gap that Cattle have to travel through. I've always used Fly Bullets, (P.H. White Co.) on Mineral Feeders.The Rayon "Face Flyps" are a must for Rubs, as they work like a Mop on their faces, and backs.

I did put the face flyps on the rub. I thought that they might have been scaring the cows so I took them off until I see the cows using the rub.

I was able to lead a couple of head under the rub with feed but would hate the have to lead the entire herd under one at a time :D

I would also like to add time and curiousity. Put it near a water sourse and the salt and mineral...which you have done. They will get curious and check it out. Once one or two get the idea the rest will follow (field of dreams...build it and they will come)

You can start off setting it high so the cows can easily walk under it. As they start getting used to walking under it you can lower it to where it rubs them good. I wouldn't set it too close to a pond where the poison could run off into the pond.

My cows avoided it like the plague. I guess they never seen one before. I ended up putting it where they would have to walk under it to get to a water trough.

Walt

Howdy,

I use cattle rubs here too. I have them around the water troughs. Actually, when I put them out, a lot of cows get stuck under them :) in a good way, because you come back 15 mintues later and they are just gently rubbing back and forth on the rub, and not walking off.

Make sure you energize them, and keep them energized for maximum efficiency.

I've just about given up on the sock type rubs and have gone to tip tanks. Put them on the mineral feeders this spring. So far they have worked great. I rarely see a face fly. Always an abundance of charge as long as the tank doesn't go dry. I'll probably replace the back rubs with them soon.

As far as placement, my cattle will use back rubs almost anywhere I put them.

johndeerefarmer":1tw0t9qm said:
Any tips on getting my cattle to use a cattle rub? I built a combination cattle rub and mineral feeder that I can drag from pasture to pasture. I just gotta figure out how to make them rub on the rub. My best idea is to put the rub across a gate opening and make them walk under it a few times.

Putting it across a gate opening,is exactly what I do. The older cows who have seen it time and time again, almost seem to enjoy going under it (with the face flyps). But the young ones are a bit skittish at first, until they see momma going through. It has to be somewhere all of the cattle are almost forced to go through in order for them to get used to it.

I tried to find a good picture of a tip tank, but only found a poor picture here.http://www.beavervalleysupply.com/sectionj/sumfeed.htm

Look at the fly face unit. The tank is not shown, just the mop. The tank goes thru the mop at the top where the bar attaches it to the feeder. When the cattle stick their head in, the tank tips and two small weep holes at the top of the tank runs more charge onto the mop. I have one Sioux Steel tank that I got from a show special for a decent price (not the indecent price on the link) and a local made one. The local built one would be simple enough to build yourself. It's made of a peice of 4" pvc pipe wrapped witha heavy cloth with a mop. It has two weep holes that are about 1/16 near the top and a larger fill hole at the top. It attaches with chains and holds about a gallon. The local people also make a larger one for use as a back rub. I haven't bought one yet, but I'd guess it'd hold about 2 1/2 gallons.

I'll see about getting a picture up if your interested.

Latest posts