Cattle rub fly preventer???

Help Support CattleToday:

fnfarms1

Reaction score
So I've seen ppl that are using old street sweeper type brushes to make cattle rub/scratchers. Why can't you do the same thing but take small sprayer and soak it in permethian etc to help with flys? I'm not saying its be total fly control but at least help. Also where can you get the brushes? I've ask my local street dept in town, but no reply yet.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210411-005741_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210411-005741_Chrome.jpg
    384.3 KB · Views: 0
So I've seen ppl that are using old street sweeper type brushes to make cattle rub/scratchers. Why can't you do the same thing but take small sprayer and soak it in permethian etc to help with flys? I'm not saying its be total fly control but at least help. Also where can you get the brushes? I've ask my local street dept in town, but no reply yet.
I am not sure you will get a good application of insecticide with a brush, but you can always hang a cloth oil rub at the entry/exit to the brush.
https://agromatic.net/shop/barn-feeding-bedding-equipment/easyswing-cow-brushes/

Yeah I considered adding straps to the brush itself or a rub next to it etc. Also that Agromatic site doesn't give prices. Which seems ridiculous in a day and age of the internet.

I use those street sweeper brushes at work and have changed the brushes several times. the ones we use at work are made of hard plastic with wire strands interchanged with the plastic. maybe the ones in the pic are made differently or made specifically for cattle but the ones I am used to would not work for cattle in my opinion. the brushes would be an eye injury waiting to happen plus no absorption for the liquid to get to the edges of the brush. I could see them making good back scratchers but not good insecticide applicators.

A repurpose warehouse in Atlanta sells large industrial items. Sometimes they have brushes also.

The ones I've seen made into insecticide applicators have tiny holes drilled thru the core to allow the insecticide to ooze out and then have the ends sealed off to form a reservoir.
I have no idea how well they work but seems to me you would waste a lot of expensive liquid when the animals aren't actually under them.

These work great and they are cheap. Cheap enough I wouldn't try to make one. There is a piece of felt in the top brush with a little valve in it that when they rub on the brush allows the medication to wick into the felt. They work great.
IMG_1157.jpg

These work great and they are cheap. Cheap enough I wouldn't try to make one. There is a piece of felt in the top brush with a little valve in it that when they rub on the brush allows the medication to wick into the felt. They work great.
$350+++ seems a little expensive to me when I can get a used street sweeper brush for free from the maintenance department at my work. JMHO.

$350+++ seems a little expensive to me when I can get a used street sweeper brush for free from the maintenance department at my work. JMHO.
Wow, I paid about $230 USD each for mine.
You will need a lot more parts and pieces than the brush to medicate cattle. And time. But if you like fiddling and have the time and patience then have fun!

Latest posts