Cattle Ringworm

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

We have a small Hobby-Farm with cow and new-born calf, 2 8-mth old calves and couple Canadian Horses, couple dogs, chickens, ..... Just found out that one of the 8-mth old calfs has Ringworm. Questions: Is there a cure? If so, what/where do we get it? How do we protect other animals? Should we get rid of this calf?

Any guidance would be appreciated! Thank you Wayne

[email protected]

There are any number of antifungal products available at the feed store. RW is highly contagious, you can get it too. If possible, I'ld isolate the calf and hope it hasn't spread yet. Why sell the calf? Once it's cleared up it's no different then having had warts. My opinion!

dun

> We have a small Hobby-Farm with
> cow and new-born calf, 2 8-mth old
> calves and couple Canadian Horses,
> couple dogs, chickens, ..... Just
> found out that one of the 8-mth
> old calfs has Ringworm. Questions:
> Is there a cure? If so, what/where
> do we get it? How do we protect
> other animals? Should we get rid
> of this calf?

> Any guidance would be appreciated!
> Thank you Wayne

>I was at the feed store yesterday and overheard two guys talking about ringworm. The guy at the feed store sold this guy a bottle of LA-200 and swore it would clear up ringworm. I don't know if there is any truth to it. Would be nice to know.

work. There are any number of antifungal
> products available at the feed
> store. RW is highly contagious,
> you can get it too. If possible,
> I'ld isolate the calf and hope it
> hasn't spread yet. Why sell the
> calf? Once it's cleared up it's no
> different then having had warts.
> My opinion!

> dun

LA 200 isn't a treatment for ringworm. The feed store guy should have his head handed to him for peddling antibiotics for a fungus.

Ringworm is very common, it is made worse by dry conditions and lack of vitamin A. I never treat it, it runs it's course and never returns.

Some people swear by crest toothpast for treatment, others by anti-fungals. If you start messing with it the chances of you getting it are higher. People will develop a resistance to it, but it seems to take more than one bout of it.

The biggest problem with ringworm is that it looks bad. If it hits when you want to show a calf or sell it, you have to change plans.

Jason

[email protected]

> that was a idiotic response to a
> serious question and answer.

Come on Cisco, lighten up a little. A little levity during the dark of winter is sometimes "just what the doctor ordered".

> Come on Cisco, lighten up a
> little. A little levity during the
> dark of winter is sometimes
> "just what the doctor
> ordered".

>Actually, Dun brought up a good point! If she's going to complain, maybe it's best not to hang her in the shed.

Latest posts