cattle report questions

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I need to ask any of you who would be kind enough to respond a few questions about why you raise cattle?Although these are simple and I already know how most of you will respond I have to get exact quotes.First,Why do you raise cattle?What is your favorite part of it?Least favorite?And what experience level do you recomend people need to have?Thank you Sam Plank

Why? As a retiring educational administrator and I'v decided to have a small cow/calf operation as my next venture. Fortunately, I don't have to depend on it survive.

Favorite Part? Experiencing the birth of a baby calf and sitting on my porch and watch our cows grazing in a pasture full of green grass and Blue Bonnets. Reading all of the neat posts on this forum.

Least Favorite Part? Death of a cow or calf.

How much experience is necessary? None at first, just enthusiasm and the willingness to learn. There is never ENOUGH experience!

I raise cattle because I absolutely love working with them. Each one of them is unique and has its own personality. My herds are small, around 40 head, and I just love being out with them and talking about them with other cattlemen.

My favorite part of being in the cattle business is having calves. It is fun to watch them play and grow very quickly. A close second is that I enjoy the marketing aspect. I have met so many new people and made some great friends going to shows and events. I love helping new people get started in the cattle business.

My least favorite part is feeding in the winter. Although we typically have mild winters, I don't like getting out in the cold wind delivering hay.

First I believe it's in your blood I absolutely love working the land and cattle. It's part of my Heritage as we have raised cattle for many generations. I hate baling hay.Most of the people you deal with are good, honest people.

Sam Plank":4aukydjq said:
I need to ask any of you who would be kind enough to respond a few questions about why you raise cattle?Although these are simple and I already know how most of you will respond I have to get exact quotes.First,Why do you raise cattle?What is your favorite part of it?Least favorite?And what experience level do you recomend people need to have?Thank you Sam Plank

If one likes the outdoors and nature, one will love raising cattle. You are required to be outdoors and when mother nature delivers that first calf you will understand and appreate the miracle of reproduction. The work is sometime very uncomfortable in 90 to 100 degree weather in the hay field, but the reward is worth it. Many years it can be profitable as well. One always strives to produce a better calf than the cow from which the calf came. Herd improvement is the goal of most cattlemen. It is a great livelyhood and grass farming is good for the inviorment.

Sam- I kind of just grew up (third generation) with cattle and horses and it gets in your blood - even though I was away from the ranch for a few years it drew me back. I think ranch life and livestock is the best way to raise and instill responsibility and a work ethic into your kids.

The thing I dislike most is the continuing corporation of the ranching industry- all the smaller operations that once supported 2 or 3 families are now no longer big enough to support even 1 and are being sold out to the large corporation conglomerates.

The only way you will gain any experience is by doing it.

Latest posts