Cattle records

Help Support CattleToday:

milkmaid

Reaction score
Idle curiousity...what do you folks use to keep track of all your cattle records? I usually use a spreadsheet on Microsoft Works.

For a long time we used Excel, then we went to a hard copy record form, now we're using Cattlemax II.
The other night I started messing around with the canned reports that can be run. A real eye opener. There are two reports, one for bull production, one for cow production. Gives you the various weights for all of the calves for each bull or cow.
Neat stuff

dun

We use the cheap seedstock versiion. It;s probably overkill, but Ihave't found anythign that I want to do that I can't. Since we keep a lot of carcass and performance data, plus all thr breeding dta and EPDs we wnt that way. It sure isn't the cheapest on the market, but not the highest either. But the suport has beyond a doubt well worth the price of admission.

dun

I agree with Dun, Cattlemax Seedstock is what we use for our registered and commercial herds. Good support is a necessity and they provide it. Bill

I use the Cattlemax Seedstock - haven't upgraded to II. Do you like the II version better?
I have to admit, I don't do a very good job keeping up with postings during summer/fall. I need to get off this board & update!

I use a program I created in Excel. I can add any field I need or delete any fields I don't need to keep track of. I use it almost like a person would use Access. I have seperate pages for each cow that I use to keep up with medications used and any individual and group meds/vaccines given. I have a Herd page that I use to keep track of who has a calf, when are they due to calve, who to watch for possible calving difficulties or udder problems, I also score my cows on days between calving, udder and teats, BCS, and so on. I pretty much give them 3 strikes and they are out unless they is something wrong that will not allow them to have and raise a calf or if they try to kill me then that is an automatic 3 strikes.

Latest posts