Cattle Questions for a Beginner

Help Support CattleToday:

jrgrtx

Reaction score
Good morning all. I have lived amongst cattle all my life but have never been fortunate enough to be able to afford any. By the grace of God and his blessing, I have that opportunity now. I live on 17 acres in North Central Texas. Grass isn't all that great, mainly due to the drought, but there is some. I'm considering purchasing 2 heifers and a bull to start out with, all young, almost ready to breed. I believe that's about all my place can handle until we get some good recurring rainfall. All are white-faced baldy's (hereford / angus cross). My questions start out with things like:
- What are the requirements with regards to vaccinations?
- What are the requirements to register the cattle to me?
- Are there standard vaccinations by age/sex etc., that should be followed? If so, what are they?
My purpose in wanting to get into cattle is twofold. For one, my property is Ag Exempt and I'd like to keep that. I'd also like to just have a small investment security in the calves and have that security to be able to sell them if needed or keep and expand the herd to lease pastures. It'd also be nice to keep a young steer in a feed pen for the family if the opportunity arises. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you to everyone.

I had this all typed out and lost it. Here goes again.

First of all your selection of baldies is an excellent choice. However, it is unlikely that they will be registered. I would not recommend for a beginner to start out with registered stock. I would get good crossbred cattle. Baldies are crossbred from angus x hereford and would not be registerable with any commonly accepted breed association.

Secondly, I would forego the bull. You could instead rent a bull for 60 days each year and get 3 or 4 cows with that money. Instead of just 2 cows. If you have decent handling pens you could AI the cows and get calves far superior to anything you could breed yourself.

Finally, on vaccinations, it is not cost effective for you with a herd that small to buy and do your own vaccinations. Vaccines are sold in minimum size of 10 doses. You would waste quite a bit. It would be easier to haul them to the vet and let him do it, unless you have an excellent handling system and squeeze chute already in place.

Yep--forget the bull. With only 2 ladies of his own to service, he's gonna get that itch and want to wander too. Just rent, borrow bull--or buy stock already bred to a good bull. Once your herd begins to increase in #s some, then consider buying a bull.

I'd also suggest buying cows that have already calved on their own at least once before. Calving hiefers isn't a good idea for a beginner. Buying cows that you know can do the job is a big stress reliever, at least it was for me.

Sounds to me like the perfect thing for you right now, would be if you can find some Hereford cows 2 to 4 years old with calves on them and bred back. Then after they calve next time rent or by then be ready to buy a good angus or brangus bull. All I do for momma cows is deworm them twice a year with a oral drench dewormer or by giving shots, I don't use pour On but some will say different. On calves I give type a and 7 way blackleg and cut or band at about 60 to 90 days. Then before weaning I blackleg again and worm them. I would not really be looking for registered cows if I were you, but when you need a bull look get a registered one.

Thanks everyone for the information and insight. I understand with the bull but let me get your thoughts on this. I have the opportunity to purchase all 3 well below market value. My thoughts were to just go ahead, get both heifers and the bull, keep them and build the bull up a little, and sell him off. I understand it would be nice to have bred heifers or those that have already calved, this is just one of those opportunities that doesn't come around too often. I'm relatively familiar with Baldy's and know them to be a pretty hearty cow.

One other question with regards to supplements. These are fairly young, 700 lbs +/-. What are suggestions on feed suplements outside of normal pasture grazing. I.E., range cubes, salt & minerals, etc, etc.

jrgrtx":2jylfhql said:
One other question with regards to supplements. These are fairly young, 700 lbs +/-. What are suggestions on feed suplements outside of normal pasture grazing. I.E., range cubes, salt & minerals, etc, etc.
At 700lbs they are probably big enough to breed but they need to gain for the next nine months. They will grow on grass this spring and summer but keep a loose mineral out all the time. You can cube them with a few 20% cubes but as long as the grass is good they shouldn't need them. I would also add don't wait to the last minute to buy hay. If it turns out dry late summer the price will just get higher.

Glen Rose? That's my neighborhood. Let me know if I can help. Feel free to come look at my operation.

Robstown. Deep South tx. Just outside Corpus. Where is Glen Rose located?

jrgrtx":13tuifsg said:
Robstown. Deep South tx. Just outside Corpus. Where is Glen Rose located?

North end of the hill country. Probably 60 miles west by south west of Fort Worth.

I think i know that area now that i see it on a map. I was up there at a roping years ago. I believe theres a real nice arena there. Had some good barbeque at a little place there.

Ok. More questions from a beginner. Got the 3 young uns home. Put them in a round pen with hay and water for 2 days. No other cattle on the place so i seen no need to keep them pinned up. Turned them out. Now they wont go back for water. Bad drought here in South Texas so stock tank is dry. Should i get trough out of pen? They just stay in one spot in the corner of my pasture and wont move. Wont even come up for feed. Just dont want them getting dehydrated. Getting warm down South.

When they get thirsty they'll be back. They need time to adjust to everything. I usually keep mine penned up for a week, at least for younger cattle, just so they don't test the fences so much.

M.Magis":cr4sfdxn said:
When they get thirsty they'll be back. They need time to adjust to everything. I usually keep mine penned up for a week, at least for younger cattle, just so they don't test the fences so much.
+1.

Well thats exactly what my ol' 71 yr old dad said. Like a true beginner, i'll learn from my hard headed mistakes. I guess i shouldve left them pinned up all week (like my dad also said to do). I guess i was just worried theyd want to stay as far away from that pen as possible even if the water is in there.

Just like you and my dad said, they got thirsty and they found the trough.

I have red angus, including some angus/Hereford mix and they're excellent. Not registered. I've never had a problem selling them. I think you'll enjoy working with them.

I appreciate that. Yes, these are hard to come by for some reason. I remember as a kid in East Tx there were quite a few people who had baldy's around but it seems they've faded away over the years. I haven't seen any in quite a while now. I ran across this gentleman in a bind that had these 2 young heifers and the young bull (different sires) and jumped at the opportunity. All three are good looking young'uns and just the classic baldy. Good eyes too. White faced with black rings around each eye. Came from big heifers and small stocky bull so I'm hoping to not run into any calving problems. Baldys are pretty tough ones from what I remember so I think we'll be ok.

Latest posts